Sessions and Forms Authentication Cookie

Bijoy Naick

I have a folder on my site secured with Forms Authentication. After the user
is authenticated, I set a session level variable.

The session time on the server is set to 20 mins. I am guessing the default
expiry time for the Forms Authentication cookie is 30 mins? Is this correct?

So after 20 mins, the session expires (assuming no user activity), but
because the forms auth cookie is still alive, users are not redirected to
the login page. The other pages are not able to read the session level
variable cuz the session has already expired.

How do I go about changing the forms cookie expiry time? I've seen a timeout
attribute to the forms tag that is used in Web.Config.. Is this what I
should be using?

George Durzi

You can also set the expiration time of the forms authentication cookie in
your web.config file.
I set it so it's the same as my session timeout.