set and reset the least significant bit of a address

Flash Gordon

Ummm... lets see if I'm getting this...

In comp.lang.c one is only allowed to discuss standardized C.
However, in comp.std.c one is only allowed to discuse non-standard C

Isn't that backwards?

comp.lang.c is where we discuss using the C language, comp.std.c is
where the C standard, including possible future direction, is discussed.

sigvald

Chris said:
Well, for a couple of decades. How long has English been effectively
the same? Or French? Or Icelandic? The latter is virtually unchanged
from the Norse spoken by Eric the Red a millenium ago (it's had a few
words added, and a few minor changes, but Eric would still be able to
converse easily with modern inhabitants).

No, Eric the red would not understand a word of modern Icelandic upon
hearning it, the written language has changed less but it has gained a
lot of words, both loan-words and new creations.
I doubt if half of the modern Icelandic vocabulary existed in the
Viking age.

CBFalconer

.... snip ...

Apparently not.

Oh? I have seen nothing from you on comp.compilers.lcc. I have no
idea whether or not Pelles C is a member of the lcc family, though.
Apparently not.

And I have seen no discussion of the use of standard C from you
here. Just complaints about topicality. Try it, you might like it
(portability).

Randy Howard

There is the minority view. I have received a lot of flames because of
this, but I go on believing that this group should discuss C beyond the
"portable" stuff.

What does "beyond the portable stuff" mean to you Jacob? One might
guess that it means writing a function (or library) that only works
on one, or a few platforms. I suspect though that in your case it
means writing a compiler, that works (sort of) on one platform, and
that doesn't resemble C much at all anymore. Why would anyone, but
you, wish to spend time discussing such narrow extensions to the
language, especially when comp.compilers.lcc seems to be the natural,
perfect place for a discussion of that narrow topic?