    Any ideas?

    thanks

    harry

    harry, Feb 24, 2004

  2. "harry" <> wrote:

    > I'm trying to use a list box to contain several pieces of info per
    > item.

    Stop trying, and re-analyze the original problem.

    > Apart from separating each bit with "," (which looks really messy
    > due to nothing's in line!), the only way I can think of is to set
    > the font to fixed sys & padd each field to a fixed width. I've
    > created a ccs style & applied to the listbox which works, only
    > trouble now is as there appears no way (absolutely staggering!!!!!)
    > to set the width of the box, loads of the info is not shown
    > (chopped off)!

    Sounds very confused, so confused that you forgot to specify the URL.

    My crystal ball says that you are trying to present the options in a
    select element so that their content are somehow tabulated. The key to
    the issue is that select elements are _by definition_ form fields
    containing a set of elements with _plain text_ content. If you don't
    want that, don't use select.

    > Is there a better/smarter way of creating a scrolling list which
    > you can select etc...

    Yes, write a list of links. It can be scrolled in a browser window.

    If this does not address the problem, then there's something in the
    problem that you didn't specify.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 24, 2004

  3. harry

    harry Guest

    thanks for replying so quick - what I'm trying to do is -

    1. The users select various search criteria & hit a query button on one
    screen.

    2. The search results are displayed on another, there might be 0-50+
    depending on search criteria specified.

    3. The user then scrolls though the list, each line contains summary
    info (5 fields), needed to locate the correct record.

    4. Once found the user clicks the "edit" key which then displays the
    full record's details on another page which they can update & save

    thanks

    harry

    harry, Feb 24, 2004
  4. harry wrote:

    > Is there a better/smarter way of creating a scrolling list which you can
    > select etc...

    <form action="order.php">
    <thead>
    <th>&nbsp;</th>
    <th>Item Number</th>
    <th>Item Description</th>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
    </tbody>
    </form>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 24, 2004
  5. "harry" <> wrote:

    > 2. The search results are displayed on another, there might be
    > 0-50+ depending on search criteria specified.

    OK, make them a list, or a table. You don't need a select element.

    > 3. The user then scrolls though the list, each line contains
    > summary info (5 fields), needed to locate the correct record.

    Well, you could make it a table, if the entries share the same
    structure. A tabular presentation might be useful especially if you
    expect users to scan through columns to find something special.
    But the way to create a table is a <table> element, and you cannot put
    a <table> element inside a <select> element.

    > 4. Once found the user clicks the "edit" key which then
    > displays the
    > full record's details on another page which they can update & save

    You could include a column into the table, containing just
    <input type="submit" name="some-unique-id" value="Edit">
    But it sounds like you could just make the key field a normal link.
    After all, it would just show a page, so a link would be suitable - and
    the linked page in turn would contain a form.

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message

    I think we know that. Please quote properly in future. Hints:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 24, 2004
  6. harry

    harry Guest

    thats looks more like it matey, gonna have a play!

    thanks

    harry

    harry, Feb 25, 2004