Set home page

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by emma.sax@gmail.com, May 15, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I need to use a piece of Javascript similar to "this.setHomePage(url)"
    that works in Firefox (and IE7)

    There have been other threads on this topic, but they descend into
    "let the user do what they want with their browser" or end with a
    piece of script for adding bookmarks/favourites...

    Does anyone have a solution for this? Or is it something that can no
    longer be done with the security of new browsers?

    Thanks

    Emma
     
    , May 15, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. töff Guest


    > they descend into
    > "let the user do what they want with their browser"


    Yeh and I would hate you if you changed my homepage. I would change it
    back, and never go to your site again.
     
    töff, May 15, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Joe Attardi Guest

    töff wrote:
    > Yeh and I would hate you if you changed my homepage. I would change it
    > back, and never go to your site again.


    Agreed. This is something you should never do. Although, on the other
    hand, it is perfectly reasonable to have a link that says "Make this
    site your home page" and then, ONLY if that link is clicked, execute a
    script that does such.

    This way you are giving the user choice. The default choice should
    always be what is best for the user, not for you.
     
    Joe Attardi, May 15, 2007
    #3
  4. Guest

    On 15 May, 16:17, Joe Attardi <> wrote:
    > This way you are giving the user choice. The default choice should
    > always be what is best for the user, not for you.


    töff wrote:
    > Yeh and I would hate you if you changed my homepage. I would change it
    > back, and never go to your site again.


    Thanks for taking the time to respond - I know what you're both
    saying....

    I just need to find out if it *can* be done - not whether it's
    ethically right.
     
    , May 15, 2007
    #4
  5. Benjamin Guest

    On May 15, 11:18 am, wrote:
    > On 15 May, 16:17, Joe Attardi <> wrote:
    >
    > > This way you are giving the user choice. The default choice should
    > > always be what is best for the user, not for you.

    > töff wrote:
    > > Yeh and I would hate you if you changed my homepage. I would change it
    > > back, and never go to your site again.

    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to respond - I know what you're both
    > saying....
    >
    > I just need to find out if it *can* be done - not whether it's
    > ethically right.

    That's like keeping poison in your kitchen even though you know it's
    wrong.
     
    Benjamin, May 16, 2007
    #5
  6. Guest

    On 16 May, 03:49, Benjamin <> wrote:
    > > I just need to find out if it *can* be done - not whether it's
    > > ethically right.


    > That's like keeping poison in your kitchen even though you know it's
    > wrong.


    Yes, it is..... does anyone know though?!
     
    , May 16, 2007
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?utf-8?B?bW9vcOKEog==?=

    How to set up the home page on sourceforge.net

    =?utf-8?B?bW9vcOKEog==?=, May 26, 2007, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    259
    =?utf-8?B?bW9vcOKEog==?=
    May 26, 2007
  2. nancyflorida
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    336
    nancyflorida
    Nov 12, 2007
  3. nancyflorida
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    321
    nancyflorida
    Nov 12, 2007
  4. * Its my Pleasure *
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    382
    * Its my Pleasure *
    Feb 20, 2008
  5. Anz
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    174
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
    May 13, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page