Set home page

emma.sax

I need to use a piece of Javascript similar to "this.setHomePage(url)"
that works in Firefox (and IE7)

There have been other threads on this topic, but they descend into
"let the user do what they want with their browser" or end with a
piece of script for adding bookmarks/favourites...

Does anyone have a solution for this? Or is it something that can no
longer be done with the security of new browsers?

Thanks

Emma

töff

they descend into
"let the user do what they want with their browser"

Yeh and I would hate you if you changed my homepage. I would change it
back, and never go to your site again.

Joe Attardi

töff said:
Yeh and I would hate you if you changed my homepage. I would change it
back, and never go to your site again.

Agreed. This is something you should never do. Although, on the other
hand, it is perfectly reasonable to have a link that says "Make this
site your home page" and then, ONLY if that link is clicked, execute a
script that does such.

This way you are giving the user choice. The default choice should
always be what is best for the user, not for you.

emma.sax

töff said:
Yeh and I would hate you if you changed my homepage. I would change it
back, and never go to your site again.

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I know what you're both
saying....

I just need to find out if it *can* be done - not whether it's
ethically right.

Benjamin

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I know what you're both
saying....

I just need to find out if it *can* be done - not whether it's
ethically right.
That's like keeping poison in your kitchen even though you know it's
wrong.