Set Up Own News Group or Discussion Board

Smithers

Our tech support group is looking to implement better online assistance -
and we like the idea of having a news group similar to this one
(microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet) but without requiring users to
use a news reader. We've seen other sites that offer similar features, but
accessible via a browser. Where do I get started? ... looking for
recommendations on pre-packaged functionality that can be customized.

Thanks.

Craig Deelsnyder

Our tech support group is looking to implement better online assistance -
and we like the idea of having a news group similar to this one
(microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet) but without requiring users to
use a news reader. We've seen other sites that offer similar features, but
accessible via a browser. Where do I get started? ... looking for
recommendations on pre-packaged functionality that can be customized.

Thanks.
So you basically want forums? I assume written in .NET technologies,
since you posted here...check out the starter kits:

http://asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=8&tabid=47

they have an issue one and also a community one. One of those 2 should
give you alot of ideas (and actual code). There are others I'm sure
other people will chime in with (perhaps OSS).

Otherwise, my personal preference is tiki-wiki

http://tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php

I love these things! They're written in php, but you don't really need
to write code for it (unless you want), outside of maybe customizing
stylesheets, etc. It's OSS, and provides blogs, forums, image
galleries, FAQ, CMS, etc., more things than maybe what you realized you
could get.