    I consider seti@home a good example, also maybe Arcserve backup program with
    manager.

    -Dave

    GMane Python, May 31, 2005

  2. GMane Python

    Guest

    Other examples- PCAnyWhere, a Trojan Horse .. :)

    Anyway, this is quite simple.
    All you realy need is a server with a GUI that listens all the time for
    incoming connections,
    and a client that will connect to the server and work in the
    background.

    Here are some thoughts...

    - Figure out what action you want the client to do. Make sure you
    have a working script that does that already, that could later be
    connected to the actual client.
    - How much control do you need over the client? do you want to just
    send commands and see the result? or do you want to recieve
    screenshots, or even "live" view of the client?

    , May 31, 2005

  3. GMane Python

    GMane Python Guest

    I want to have a program download pictures from a netCam (Axis 2100). So, I
    want to start & stop, and also see progress (how many photos, are there
    errors, did I begin encoding to DivX, etc) for multiple cameras.

    -Dave

    GMane Python, May 31, 2005
  4. GMane Python

    Magnus Lycka Guest

    GMane Python wrote:
    > I'd like to consider making a program which is 'seti-like' where I could run
    > a command-line Python script to just 'do something', and then be able to
    > launch a viewer program (maybe linux x11 or Windows, possibly over a network
    > socket) using wxPython to be able to inter-act with it. (Start jobs, view
    > queue of jobs, modify jobs, etc, or even just watch the work process).

    It depends on your scope of course... If you want the whole framework
    involved in a seti-like system, with distribution of tasks and load
    balancing etc, I wouldn't try to build a new system like that. I'd use
    something like Sun Grid Engine. Actually, I'd use Sun Grid Engine.

    Of course, this might be overkill for you. Embedding a socket server
    or even a little web server in your Python script might be enough if
    you just need to monitor a working program, but for starting new jobs
    and job queues etc, SGE is probably the path to follow.

    See http://gridengine.sunsource.net/GEDomainFAQ.html

    I don't think SGE works on Windows, but it works on the major Unix
    dialects, including Linux and Mac OS/X. I'm sure you could write a
    Python program that monitors and manages SGE from Windows if you like.

    For some other options on distributed operation, see
    http://www.thinkware.se/cgi-bin/thinki.cgi/UsingPythonWithOtherLanguages

    Both CORBA implementations and simpler things like PYRO could help, but
    these systems are more aimed at enabling communication between programs
    running in a distributed fashion, and I don't think they target tasks
    such as job queues, starting and stopping jobs, or load balancing etc.

    Magnus Lycka, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Magnus Lycka wrote:

    > Both CORBA implementations and simpler things like PYRO could help, but
    > these systems are more aimed at enabling communication between programs
    > running in a distributed fashion, and I don't think they target tasks
    > such as job queues, starting and stopping jobs, or load balancing etc.

    Indeed, not directly. But it would be possible to create such a thing.

    And the latest Pyro (3.5 beta, at the moment) contains an interesting
    example that automatically partitions a computation task, distributes
    the parts among available 'processor' objects, and aggregates the
    result. I have supplied a sorting task and a md5 'cracking' task.
    It is perhaps not really what was asked, but I think it is at least
    a bit relevant to this topic.

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Jun 1, 2005