setTimeout not working on IE

James Black

I am trying to fade a word out, so after 5 seconds then every 1/4 sec
it should fade by a small amount, until it is gone.

This works fine in Firefox, but IE never calls the function that
setTimeout points to.

I am using IE 6, btw, on WinXP SP2.

browserdetect=savedspan.filters? "ie" : typeof
savedspan.style.MozOpacity=="string"? "mozilla" : "";
if (browserdetect=="mozilla") {
savedspan.style.MozOpacity = 1.0;
setTimeout(fadeSaved, 5000);
} else if (browserdetect=="ie") {
//alert("gradeSavedResult: inside the IE part");
savedspan.filters.alpha.opacity = 1.0; // This should only be used
in ie
window.setTimeout("fadeSaved()", 5000);
}

function fadeSaved() {
alert("fadeSaved: ");
}

I tried it with 'setTimeout(fadeSaved, 5000)' also, but that didn't
work.

Any idea why setTimeout wouldn't be working on IE?

Thanx.

Lee

James Black said:
[...]

It should be easy enough to convince yourself that setTimeout()
is working. It's probably your fadeSaved() function that doesn't
work in IE.

<script type="text/javascript">
setTimeout("alert('setTimeout() works')",1000);
</script>
wait

Randy Webb

James Black said the following on 4/14/2006 1:27 PM:
I am trying to fade a word out, so after 5 seconds then every 1/4 sec
it should fade by a small amount, until it is gone.

This works fine in Firefox, but IE never calls the function that
setTimeout points to.

I am using IE 6, btw, on WinXP SP2.

You shouldn't indent your code that much, it makes it a pain to do
anything with when it gets wrapped.
browserdetect=savedspan.filters? "ie" : typeof
savedspan.style.MozOpacity=="string"? "mozilla" : "";

Problem #1: Browser Detection

If you want to use MozOpacity then test for it. If you want to use
filters then test for them - not for something in a useless UA string.
if (browserdetect=="mozilla") {
savedspan.style.MozOpacity = 1.0;
setTimeout(fadeSaved, 5000);
} else if (browserdetect=="ie") {
//alert("gradeSavedResult: inside the IE part");
savedspan.filters.alpha.opacity = 1.0; // This should only be used
in ie
window.setTimeout("fadeSaved()", 5000);
}

function fadeSaved() {
alert("fadeSaved: ");
}

I tried it with 'setTimeout(fadeSaved, 5000)' also, but that didn't
work.

There may be something else in your code, that isn't posted, that is
interfering with it. Post a small sample page that demonstrates
setTimeout not working properly.

var myTimer = window.setTimeout(myFunction,2000)
function myFunction(){
alert('Inside myFunction')
}

But, you might prefer setInterval over setTimeout and then have a
counter that will clear the interval after enough time to finish the fade.