Setting a default option for a comb box

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Doogie, Feb 25, 2007.

  1. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    I posted this question a few days ago but I think that post is drying
    up and I still do not have an answer. I need to set a default option
    for a combo box that is not the first item in that combo box. Below
    is an example. I can put the code below into a simple HTML file and
    it works fine. It does NOT work in a ASP 3.0 app. I have tried two
    seperate ASP apps as an example and NEITHER work.

    I have tried variations of the "selected ="true"" part. But nothing
    is working. I am surprised it is so difficult to set a default for a
    combo box in ASP! Is there some other way to do this? If anyone has
    any ideas, I would really appreciate them, this was supposed to be a
    simple change and it is taking a very long time to accomplish! :)

    <select name="cboCompany" style="text-align:right; font-size:8pt">
    <option value="08">08</option>
    <option value="09" selected="true">09</option>
    <option value="33">33</option>
    <option value="18">18</option>
    <option value="17">17</option>
    </select>
    Doogie, Feb 25, 2007

  2. Doogie

    Evertjan. Guest

    Doogie wrote on 25 feb 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I posted this question a few days ago but I think that post is drying
    > up and I still do not have an answer. I need to set a default option
    > for a combo box that is not the first item in that combo box. Below
    > is an example. I can put the code below into a simple HTML file and
    > it works fine. It does NOT work in a ASP 3.0 app. I have tried two
    > seperate ASP apps as an example and NEITHER work.
    >
    > I have tried variations of the "selected ="true"" part. But nothing
    > is working. I am surprised it is so difficult to set a default for a
    > combo box in ASP! Is there some other way to do this? If anyone has
    > any ideas, I would really appreciate them, this was supposed to be a
    > simple change and it is taking a very long time to accomplish! :)
    >
    > <select name="cboCompany" style="text-align:right; font-size:8pt">
    > <option value="08">08</option>
    > <option value="09" selected="true">09</option>
    > <option value="33">33</option>
    > <option value="18">18</option>
    > <option value="17">17</option>
    > </select>

    This has nothing to do with ASP, as ASP is a serverside platform.
    Furtheremore it seems not a scripting Q.
    You where lucky someone in this NG answered you in the first place.
    Please follow up on a clientside html NG.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., Feb 25, 2007

  3. Doogie

    Bob Lehmann Guest

    Since it apears to you to be an ASP problem, maybe you should post some
    related ASP code, or at least some of the surrounding HTML

    Even though selected="true" is invalid, it works for me in an ASP page.

    I think you misunderstood Mark's recommendation to View Source. He meant, in
    your browser, with the page loaded, Edit | View Source.

    Bob Lehmann

    Bob Lehmann, Feb 25, 2007
  4. Doogie

    Mike Brind Guest

    "Doogie" <> wrote in message
    >I posted this question a few days ago but I think that post is drying
    > up

    How can it be "drying up"? There are new posts on that thread today!

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Feb 25, 2007