Setting a default value for the input type file?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by ramkum@gmail.com, Sep 21, 2006.

    I'm building a system where a presenter uploads a PPT to my server and
    then I show it to all the participants. The problem is that most of the
    media in the PPT is usually linked, so I'll need to upload all that
    too. Assuming I can parse the PPT and figure the exact name and
    location of each of the media files I need from his hard-disk, is there
    any way I can upload all these files automatically, without having to
    make the user choose each of these files manually? If that's not
    possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a list of input boxes
    of type file, pre-populated with the file-path and name of the media
    files I need, so that the user can just click 'Submit' without having
    to browse and select each of them?

    Please say yes. It would be a major usability crisis if my users had to
    keep hitting the browse button so many times for each PPT! Especially
    when I know exactly what files I need and where they are! I know that
    this has a lot to do with browser security, but there's got to be SOME
    way out?

    Thanks,
    , Sep 21, 2006

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm building a system where a presenter uploads a PPT to my server and
    > then I show it to all the participants. The problem is that most of the
    > media in the PPT is usually linked, so I'll need to upload all that
    > too. Assuming I can parse the PPT and figure the exact name and
    > location of each of the media files I need from his hard-disk, is there
    > any way I can upload all these files automatically, without having to
    > make the user choose each of these files manually? If that's not
    > possible, can I atleast show the user a page with a list of input boxes
    > of type file, pre-populated with the file-path and name of the media
    > files I need, so that the user can just click 'Submit' without having
    > to browse and select each of them?
    >
    > Please say yes. It would be a major usability crisis if my users had to
    > keep hitting the browse button so many times for each PPT! Especially
    > when I know exactly what files I need and where they are! I know that
    > this has a lot to do with browser security, but there's got to be SOME
    > way out?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Unfortunately, the file input field does not allow you populate it
    using default values. This is due to security considerations. Also,
    it isn't possible to "grab" files from a users hard drive through an
    ASP script processing on the server. Think of the major security
    problems that would cause! I could write a script to search the hard
    drives of every browser of my site for quickbooks files, etc and upload
    them to my server. Fortunately, this isn't possible.

    My solution to this problem would be to only allow zip files to be
    uploaded (use a script to check the 3 letter file extension of the
    uploaded file). Then use a commercially available unzip component to
    extract the files into a folder on your server. All this can be done
    through an ASP page. Here is a link to an article on unzipping files
    in ASP:
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-zip/unzip-files-from-asp.html

    Best of Luck!
    Mike Biang
    Cramer Development
    , Sep 21, 2006

  3. Slim Guest

    Why not use a web dav folder and drag and drop the files in one go?

    Slim, Sep 21, 2006

    Thanks a lot, Mike. I guess I'd be better off with a signed Java applet
    that does all the uploading for me though; my users wont be too happy
    with a zip-up-and-upload approach.

    wrote:
    > Unfortunately, the file input field does not allow you populate it
    > using default values. This is due to security considerations. Also,
    > it isn't possible to "grab" files from a users hard drive through an
    > ASP script processing on the server. Think of the major security
    > problems that would cause! I could write a script to search the hard
    > drives of every browser of my site for quickbooks files, etc and upload
    > them to my server. Fortunately, this isn't possible.
    >
    > My solution to this problem would be to only allow zip files to be
    > uploaded (use a script to check the 3 letter file extension of the
    > uploaded file). Then use a commercially available unzip component to
    > extract the files into a folder on your server. All this can be done
    > through an ASP page. Here is a link to an article on unzipping files
    > in ASP:
    > http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-zip/unzip-files-from-asp.html
    >
    > Best of Luck!
    > Mike Biang