Setting an attribute without calling __setattr__()

Joshua Kugler

OK, I'm sure the answer is staring me right in the face--whether that answer
be "you can't do that" or "here's the really easy way--but I am stuck. I'm
writing an object to proxy both lists (subscriptable iterables, really) and
dicts.

My init lookslike this:

def __init__(self, obj=None):
if type(obj).__name__ in 'list|tuple|set|frozenset':
self.me = []
for v in obj:
self.me.append(ObjectProxy(v))
elif type(obj) == dict:
self.me = {}
for k,v in obj.items():
self.me[k] = ObjectProxy(v)

and I have a __setattr__ defined like so:

def __setattr__(self, name, value):
self.me[name] = ObjectProxy(value)

You can probably see the problem.

While doing an init, self.me = {} or self.me = [] calls __setattr__, which
then ends up in an infinite loop, and even it it succeeded

self.me['me'] = {}

is not what I wanted in the first place.

Is there a way to define self.me without it firing __setattr__?

If not, it's not a huge deal, as having this class read-only for now won't
be a problem, but I was just trying to make it read/write.

Thanks!

John Machin

[...]

Consider reading the *second* paragraph about __setattr__ in section
3.4.2 of the Python Reference Manual.

Joshua Kugler

John said:
Consider reading the *second* paragraph about __setattr__ in section
3.4.2 of the Python Reference Manual.

Like I said in my original post, it was probably staring me right in the
face. I had read through a bit of the documentation on special methods,
but for some reason I missed that part.

Thanks to all for your responses!

George Sakkis

My init lookslike this:

def __init__(self, obj=None):
if type(obj).__name__ in 'list|tuple|set|frozenset':
self.me = []
for v in obj:
self.me.append(ObjectProxy(v))
elif type(obj) == dict:
self.me = {}
for k,v in obj.items():
self.me[k] = ObjectProxy(v)

As an aside, unrelated to your question, Python encourages "duck
typing" instead of exact type matching. Unless you have a good reason
to restrict obj to one of the 5 types you hardcoded (a rather rare
need), it is more flexible to write it as:

def __init__(self, obj=None):
if hasattr(obj, 'items'):
# assume obj is a mapping type instance
self.me = dict((k,ObjectProxy(v)) for k,v in obj.items())
else:
try: # check if obj is an iterable instance
self.me = map(ObjectProxy, obj)
except TypeError:
# handle other cases here
# self.me = ...

A downside of this flexibility is that it may be more liberal than it
should. For instance, if obj just happens to have an 'items()' method
but it's not really a mapping type, the assumption is violated. Python
3 deals with such potential ambiguities by introducing Abstract Base
Classes (ABCs) [1] that allow a class to make explicit its semantics.
So in Py3K the hasattr() test above would rather be written as
"isinstance(obj, Mapping)", where Mapping is the ABC that represents
(read-only) mappings.

A more difficult problem is that even if a class derives from some
ABC, you may not always want to treat its instances as such. The
typical gotcha is that strings are iterable, but in many (most?)
applications they are to be treated as atomic values, not as sequences
of characters. So in the example above if obj is a string, self.me
will be a list of ObjectProxy instances, one per character; probably
not what you intend. Of course we can check for "isinstance(obj,str)"
but then we're back at explicit type checking. There is no general way
to express something lke "atomic value that also happens to be
iterable (but pretend it's not)" because it's inherently domain-
dependent.

George

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3119/

animalMutha

Consider reading the *second* paragraph about __setattr__ in section
3.4.2 of the Python Reference Manual.

if you are simply going to answer rtfm - might as well kept it to
yourself.

Aahz

Joshua Kugler said:
self.me = []
for v in obj:
self.me.append(ObjectProxy(v))

Note that is could be spelt:

self.me = map(ObjectProxy, v)

It could also be spelt:

self.me = [ObjectProxy(v) for v in obj]

which is my preferred spelling....

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

if you are simply going to answer rtfm - might as well kept it to
yourself.

Yes, but if you are telling where exactly to find the wanted information
in the documentation, like John did, you are teaching the OP how to fish.
Which is a good thing. Much more helpful than your remark anyway. You
might as well have kept it to yourself. :-þ

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Arnaud Delobelle

Joshua Kugler said:
self.me = []
for v in obj:
self.me.append(ObjectProxy(v))

Note that is could be spelt:

self.me = map(ObjectProxy, v)
^-- I meant obj!
It could also be spelt:

self.me = [ObjectProxy(v) for v in obj]

which is my preferred spelling....

I was waiting patiently for this reply... And your preferred spelling
is py3k-proof as well, of course.

I don't write map(lambda x: x+1, L) or map(itemgetter('x'), L) but I
like to use it when the first argument is a named function,
e.g. map(str, list_of_ints).

Joshua Kugler

animalMutha said:
if you are simply going to answer rtfm - might as well kept it to
yourself.

For what it's worth, I (the original poster) am glad he answered that way.
It showed me the section and paragraph I had overlooked when reading
through the docs the first time.