Setting applet window size using javascript?

Put 030516 in email subj to get thru

I've always been bothered about having to statically declare the size of
a Java applet window (container?) in the calling HTML. I've always
wanted the moral equivalent of width=50% statement (of the window or
frame). I'm trying to use Javascript to do so.

I can sort of get an example working in a Mozilla browser:
<!-- This works on Mozilla only (and maybe netscape) -->
<script language="Javascript">
document.write( "<applet code=MyApplet.class width="
+ window.innerWidth/2 + " height=" + window.innerWidth/2 +

So the document.write statement produces a normal looking applet string
like this:

<applet code=MyApplet.class width=252.5 height=252.5></applet>

Which gets intepreted by the browser, kicking off the Java applet. But
as you resize the browser the alignment with other text in the html
window is funky. Also, in the above example, the window.innerWidth is
apparently from the Mozilla/Netscape DOM, not MS-IE's.

Does anybody have any Javascript examples of how to dynamically presize
an applet to some percentage of the window/frame width? (that's mostly
portable)

VK

Inline applet (allocated on the web-page) doesn't support resize()
method: "once done, it's done".

You can catch resize events from JavaScript and reload the page with
applet over and over on each resize. Evidently the current state of
applet will be lost.

Put 030516 in email subj to get thru

Actually, I wasn't asking to resize anytime, just *pre* size one time based on the
width of the web browser screen when the HTML page is loaded.

I think I came up with a solution. Here's my slightly verbosely
commented example, (also see www.benslade.com/DynAppletSize.html, note that I needed
the Sun Java plugin for this to work with MS-IE 6 on Win XP. Why?)

The first part which calculates the browser window dimensions has to come
after the said:

<script language="Javascript">
// Calc window/screen width/height for Mozilla, NN>4, IE>4, IE6 in CSS1Compat mode (with a Formal DOCTYPE)
// from http://jibbering.com/faq/ with slight mods
// Note, this size calc must be in the body for IE 5+
// Exports global variables winWidth, WinHeight

var d=document;
var winWidth, WinHeight;

if (typeof window.innerWidth!='undefined')
{ winWidth = window.innerWidth; var winHeight = window.innerHeight; }
else
if (d.documentElement && typeof d.documentElement.clientWidth!='undefined' && d.documentElement.clientWidth!=0)
{ winWidth = d.documentElement.clientWidth; winHeight = d.documentElement.clientHeight; }
else
if (d.body && typeof d.body.clientWidth!='undefined')
{ winWidth = d.body.clientWidth; winHeight = d.body.clientHeight; }
else { winWidth=150; winHeight=150; }
</script>

then somewhere later in the same HTML document. This example sizes
the Java applet to 1/2 the width of the web browser window: