Setting ASP.NET Configurations in a new Web Site in IIS 6

Alex Maghen

Hi. I have a machine that is running IIS 6 and has a few Web Sites already
configured on it. Those sites are working fine for ASP.NET (2.0). When I
added a new web site just now, it does not come configured to handle ASP.NET
stuff already (which seems weird). In any case, is there a simple way to - in
one shot - configure the new site to have the normal ASP.NET configurations?
I don't know why they weren't that way by default, but in any case, I just
need to get them set up praperly for this new site.

Obviously, I'm talking here about having it handle .ASPX, .ASCX, you know,
all that normal stuff.

Thanks.

Alex

Kevin Spencer

In IIS 6, you can use the Web Site Properties dialog in the IIS console to
set this up.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Chicken Salad Surgeon
Microsoft MVP

Alex Maghen

Kevin -

Yes, but there are quite a few file types that need to be added and all that
and I thought maybe there was a sort of "standardized" way to add these
default configurations for a site.

Ax

Alex Maghen

The thing is, for reasons I don't understand, I have *other* web sites (which
I had already been created under IIS on this machine) which are configured
properly for ASP.NET. But when I just created a new site under this same IIS,
it did not come poulated to handle ASPX, ASCX, etc. I really don't know why.
Does this mean I have to re-install IIS or something? I really, REALLY don't
want to do that. Instead, I was hoping that there was a script or something
that would simply create the proper default ASP.NET settings for my new site.

Any ideas?

Ax

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Based on the information you provided so far, it looks like the ASP.NET
scriptmaps are not configured in the root directory of your IIS web site
(or any parent virtual directory that you're creating the new virtual
directory in it); and the new virtual directory will inherit its parent's
scriptmaps on creation.

To re-configure the ASP.NET scriptmaps for a virtual directory, you can use
following commands:

%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -kn
/W3SVC/1/ROOT/MyNewSite
%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -sn
/W3SVC/1/ROOT/MyNewSite

By the way, you may also find following information useful about IIS
virtual directories and IIS applications within ASP.NET context:

IIS Applications, Virtual Directories, and ASP.NET - Paul Wilson's .NET
Blog (http://weblogs.asp.net/pwilson/archive/2003/06/27/9373.aspx)

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support