Setting Focus in User Control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by jdp, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. jdp

    jdp Guest

    I have an editable datagrid as part of a usercontrol. When I click the Edit
    button, I wish for focus to be set on the first control, a dropdownlist. I
    have underlying javascript that I found elsewhere here but it does not appear
    to work.

    <script language="javascript">
    <!--
    frm.myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl2_txtBox.focus();
    frm.myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl2_txtBox.select();
    //-->
    </script>

    "myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl2_txtBox" is retrieved by FindControl and using
    the ClientID property.

    I placed this code in a string variable, strScript, and then performed
    CType(sender, DataGrid).Parent.Page.RegisterStartupScript("focus", strScript).
    all within the 'OnItemComand' sub that is defined for the grid.

    I have also tried
    document.getElementById('myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl2_txtBox').focus();
    to no avail. What I found equally as puzzling is that while the focus was
    not set, the data in the textbox was selected telling me the .select() worked.

    If someone could point me in the right direction or tell me what I'm doing
    wrong, I'd appreciate it!

    Any feedback would be appreciated.

    jdp, Mar 11, 2005

  2. jdp

    Guest

    I solved my own problem. The page itself has smartnavigation turned
    on. This doesn't generate the id and name attributes that the
    javascript uses to set the focus.

    , Mar 16, 2005