setting session cookie's properties

Yossi

I want to set the asp session id path property.
how can I do that?

I mean, asp session id is stored in a cookie and like any other cookie
it should have properties (or attributes), how can I control it?

Yossi.

Steven Burn

Are you talking about cookies (stored on the visitors computer), or
"session" cookies (stored in the servers memory)?

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Evertjan.

Steven Burn wrote on 21 nov 2004 in
Are you talking about cookies (stored on the visitors computer), or
"session" cookies (stored in the servers memory)?

Not quite.

Session cookies, like all cookies, are stored at the client.

A session cookie [= a cookie, set without explicit expiration] expires when
the connecion is lost, if the browser behaves as intended. Some call it a
ram-cookie, because it is not stored on the client's hard disk.

A session variable [did you mean that?] however is stored on the server and
is kept till the session is timed out or abandoned. However a session is
only viable while and if the client keeps the session-id cookie, which to
the client is a normal session cookie [see above].

Steven Burn

Cheers for the correction Evertjan ;o) (and yep, I meant session variables
(gotten used to calling them session cookies for some reason).

--

Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Evertjan. said:
Steven Burn wrote on 21 nov 2004 in
Are you talking about cookies (stored on the visitors computer), or
"session" cookies (stored in the servers memory)?

Not quite.

Session cookies, like all cookies, are stored at the client.

A session cookie [= a cookie, set without explicit expiration] expires when
the connecion is lost, if the browser behaves as intended. Some call it a
ram-cookie, because it is not stored on the client's hard disk.

A session variable [did you mean that?] however is stored on the server and
is kept till the session is timed out or abandoned. However a session is
only viable while and if the client keeps the session-id cookie, which to
the client is a normal session cookie [see above].

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Yossi

Hi guys,

I was talking about the session id, which is stored as a cookie.

I cannot control the value of the session id (and I do not want to do
so) but I want to control it's attributes.

Can I do that?

Evertjan. said:
Steven Burn wrote on 21 nov 2004 in
Are you talking about cookies (stored on the visitors computer), or
"session" cookies (stored in the servers memory)?

Not quite.

Session cookies, like all cookies, are stored at the client.

A session cookie [= a cookie, set without explicit expiration] expires when
the connecion is lost, if the browser behaves as intended. Some call it a
ram-cookie, because it is not stored on the client's hard disk.

A session variable [did you mean that?] however is stored on the server and
is kept till the session is timed out or abandoned. However a session is
only viable while and if the client keeps the session-id cookie, which to
the client is a normal session cookie [see above].

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Dave Anderson

Yossi said:
I was talking about the session id, which is stored as a cookie.

I cannot control the value of the session id (and I do not want to do
so) but I want to control it's attributes.

Any cookie can be tweaked on the client side. Assuming you can consistently
identify the ASP session cookie, what advantage does controlling give you,
beyond persistence?

--
Dave Anderson