Setting SMTP on a Production Machine

Tushar Karsan

Please help.

I would like to use the following web-services / ASP.Net code to be used in
an intranet environment:

MailMessage Message = new MailMessage();
Message.To = ...
SmtpMail.SmtpServer = ...
SmtpMail.Send(Message);

In order for this code to work on a production machine is the IIS [SMTP
Service] required even if there is Exchange-Server running on
another server?

In order to make e-mailing work with a domain-user recognised by the
exchange-server, is it true that I need to edit web.config file in the
following way?

<identity
impersonate="true"
userName="DOMAIN\UserName"
password="Password" />

Such that UserName is recognised by Exchange-Server?

Doing this, does this mean that this ASP.Net will use this identity for all
server accesses including database access? Should I be setting database
security for this application using this identity and not the ASPNET user?

Please help and give more info.