Setting SMTP on a Production Machine

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Tushar Karsan, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. Please help.

    I would like to use the following web-services / ASP.Net code to be used in
    an intranet environment:

    MailMessage Message = new MailMessage();
    Message.To = ...
    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = ...
    SmtpMail.Send(Message);

    In order for this code to work on a production machine is the IIS [SMTP
    Service] required even if there is Exchange-Server running on
    another server?

    In order to make e-mailing work with a domain-user recognised by the
    exchange-server, is it true that I need to edit web.config file in the
    following way?

    <identity
    impersonate="true"
    userName="DOMAIN\UserName"
    password="Password" />

    Such that UserName is recognised by Exchange-Server?

    Doing this, does this mean that this ASP.Net will use this identity for all
    server accesses including database access? Should I be setting database
    security for this application using this identity and not the ASPNET user?

    Please help and give more info.

    ---
    Tushar Karsan, Nov 1, 2004