Setting text with PDF::API2

Oliver 'ojo' Bedford

I'm using the paragraph-function to fill text into a given box.
For most of the lines it works reasonably well, but sometimes, especially
when encountering long words (which are very common in german) paragraph
fails to word-wrap. The result are lines which extend beyond the
given box.

Is this a bug in paragraph, a feature oder am I just too stupid to use
it correctly?

Another question: what is the reference point for $txt->translate?
The left side of the baseline of the character or the upper left corner
or ...?

TIA,
Oliver

Peter J. Holzer

I suspect the creator of the code didn't have words-of-German-length
in mind.

Very likely he did, since German is his native language. And last time I
talked to him he used PDF::API2 to create reports for his management,
which presumably were in German (but maybe they're Italian now ;-)).
I seem to remember (from various parts of my career) that laying
out German paragraphs follows "special" rules and conventions
that aren't need or applicable to most other languages.

Nope. The rules for typesetting paragraphs in German are exactly the
same as in English (or at least, the different sets of rules for English
and the different sets of rules for German overlap).

hp