    or ...?

    TIA,
    Oliver
    Oliver 'ojo' Bedford, Nov 20, 2009

  2. On 2009-11-20 09:55, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
    > Oliver 'ojo' Bedford wrote:
    >> I'm using the paragraph-function to fill text into a given box.
    >> For most of the lines it works reasonably well, but sometimes, especially
    >> when encountering long words (which are very common in german) paragraph
    >> fails to word-wrap. The result are lines which extend beyond the
    >> given box.
    >>
    >> Is this a bug in paragraph, a feature oder am I just too stupid to use
    >> it correctly?

    > I suspect the creator of the code didn't have words-of-German-length
    > in mind.

    Very likely he did, since German is his native language. And last time I
    talked to him he used PDF::API2 to create reports for his management,
    which presumably were in German (but maybe they're Italian now ;-)).

    > I seem to remember (from various parts of my career) that laying
    > out German paragraphs follows "special" rules and conventions
    > that aren't need or applicable to most other languages.

    Nope. The rules for typesetting paragraphs in German are exactly the
    same as in English (or at least, the different sets of rules for English
    and the different sets of rules for German overlap).

    hp
    Peter J. Holzer, Nov 20, 2009