Setting the Form.DefaultButton from CodeBehind

Alex Maghen

Hi. I have a MasterPage but on each particular page that uses it, I need to
be able to set the DefaultButton for the Form for that page. From the .cs
file of my ASPX page, I have tried:
- Form.DefaultButton = MyButton;
- Form.DefaultButton = MyButton.ClientID;

Both of these result in a runtime error:
The DefaultButton of 'MainFrm' must be the ID of a control of type
IButtonControl

Help?

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

This is a problem that I've met before, here is the former thread that
discussing on this:

here is the solution I've found at that time:

=-=========================
Based on my research, if you want to set "DefaultButton" and "DefaultFocus"
of Htmlform in master page case, you need to use code to do it
programmatically. Also, the value you specified for the
HtmlForm.DefaultButton and HtmlForm.DefaultFocus are also different from
normal scenario. here is a blog article mentioned this(in the comments)

#Default Focus, Buttons and Validation Errors with ASP.NET 2.0
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/arch.../04/421647.aspx

I have tested on my local environment, and here is what you need to do in
content page:

** use control.UniqueID for HtmlForm.DefaultButton
** use control.ClientID for HtmlForm.DefaultFocus

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead