    - set debug=false in the web.config

    Why two ways? What's the dif? Are both required? What does each do?
    TIA,

    G. Dean Blake, Jul 27, 2004

  2. "G. Dean Blake" <> wrote in message
    news:u28Lmg$...
    > The docs I have address two ways to set a .net web project to release

    mode:

    > - set to Release in vs.net dropdown
    > - set debug=false in the web.config
    >
    > Why two ways? What's the dif? Are both required? What does each do?

    Setting "Release" is what you should use to set to release mode. Setting
    debug=false simply turns off debugging. That may not be the only difference
    between the Release and Debug configurations, so you should use the Release
    configuration if that's what you want.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

    John Saunders, Jul 27, 2004

  3. G. Dean Blake

    Scott Allen Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:49:55 -0400, "John Saunders"
    <> wrote:

    >"G. Dean Blake" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> Why two ways? What's the dif? Are both required? What does each do?

    >Setting "Release" is what you should use to set to release mode. Setting
    >debug=false simply turns off debugging. That may not be the only difference
    >between the Release and Debug configurations, so you should use the Release
    >configuration if that's what you want.

    Setting debug="false" should be done in addition to a release mode
    build in VS.NET. When debug is enabled pages do not batch compile,
    pages do not timeout, debug symbols are generated, and some
    optimizations are disabled. The result will be a relative performance
    hit.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com