    So are names of books.

    Cheers,
    Andy
    Andy, Oct 16, 2004

  2. On 16 Oct 2004 05:30:57 -0700, Andy wrote:

    > I have no prior knowledge of J2EE / EJB and the likes and want to set
    > up a J2EE application server on my PC running Fedora Linux 2. Can
    > anyone please suggest what would be a good and easily available app
    > server that I could setup and with which I could test out most of the
    > code that I write.

    Apache/Tomcat should do the trick..
    <http://jakarta.apache.org/>
    <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/>

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Oct 16, 2004

  3. Andy

    Chris Dodds Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On 16 Oct 2004 05:30:57 -0700, Andy wrote:
    >

    >>I have no prior knowledge of J2EE / EJB and the likes and want to set
    >>up a J2EE application server on my PC running Fedora Linux 2. Can
    >>anyone please suggest what would be a good and easily available app
    >>server that I could setup and with which I could test out most of the
    >>code that I write.

    > Apache/Tomcat should do the trick..
    > <http://jakarta.apache.org/>
    > <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/>
    >
    > HTH

    Sun application server runs well on Fedora Core 2

    http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download.html#sdk

    Chris
    Chris Dodds, Oct 16, 2004
  4. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On 16 Oct 2004 05:30:57 -0700, Andy wrote:
    >

    >>I have no prior knowledge of J2EE / EJB and the likes and want to set
    >>up a J2EE application server on my PC running Fedora Linux 2. Can
    >>anyone please suggest what would be a good and easily available app
    >>server that I could setup and with which I could test out most of the
    >>code that I write.

    > Apache/Tomcat should do the trick..
    > <http://jakarta.apache.org/>
    > <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/>
    >
    > HTH

    Tomcat is a webcontainer, not an j2ee server. JBoss is a nice j2ee
    server which is very easy to set up (just unzip, start with run.sh and
    drop your applications in server/default/deploy directory). It comes
    with a simple database (but can connect to any) and uses tomcat as it's
    webcontainer.

    Oracle JDeveloper 10g is also nice (just unzip), and comes with
    appserver (oc4j) embedded. You can register on otn.oracle.com and
    download for non-commercial/educational purposes (check the licence).
    Just make jdev.conf point to your java home on linux. You can easily
    make applications that will run on jboss with jdeveloper.

    Several other alternatives exist also, but I have no experience with
    them. Jonas is another opensource alternative to jboss and ofcourse you
    have websphere and weblogic, I suppose they run on linux, though i'm not
    sure about weblogic with their jrocket jvm ...

    --
    jonmartin.solaas¤h0tm4i1
    Jon Martin Solaas, Oct 16, 2004
  5. Andy

    Sudsy Guest

    Jon Martin Solaas wrote:
    <snip>
    > Several other alternatives exist also, but I have no experience with
    > them. Jonas is another opensource alternative to jboss and ofcourse you
    > have websphere and weblogic, I suppose they run on linux, though i'm not
    > sure about weblogic with their jrocket jvm ...

    Both WebSphere and WebLogic run on Linux. I know; I've had both of them
    up on my servers at various times. JBoss did (does?) have some serious
    limitations like not being able to specify the deployment directory (it
    was created dynamically) but you can program around it.

    Sudsy, Oct 16, 2004
  6. Andy

    Edwin Martin Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > Andy wrote:
    >
    >>I have no prior knowledge of J2EE / EJB and the likes and want to set
    >>up a J2EE application server on my PC running Fedora Linux 2. Can
    >>anyone please suggest what would be a good and easily available app
    >>server that I could setup and with which I could test out most of the
    >>code that I write.

    > Apache/Tomcat should do the trick..
    > <http://jakarta.apache.org/>
    > <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/>

    Tomcat does not support EJB's.

    J2EE application servers supporting EJB's are:

    - JBoss: http://www.jboss.org/index.html
    - Resin: http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/
    - Geronimo (not stable yet): http://geronimo.apache.org/

    They're all free.

    Edwin Martin

    --
    http://www.bitstorm.org/edwin/en/
    Edwin Martin, Oct 16, 2004
  7. Sudsy wrote:

    > Jon Martin Solaas wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Several other alternatives exist also, but I have no experience with
    >> them. Jonas is another opensource alternative to jboss and ofcourse
    >> you have websphere and weblogic, I suppose they run on linux, though
    >> i'm not sure about weblogic with their jrocket jvm ...

    > Both WebSphere and WebLogic run on Linux. I know; I've had both of them
    > up on my servers at various times. JBoss did (does?) have some serious
    > limitations like not being able to specify the deployment directory (it
    > was created dynamically) but you can program around it.

    Under jboss you can create any configuration you like. "all","minimal"
    and "default" are pre-configured. They correspond to different
    directories below .../server, and the specific configuration is made up
    of the various features of jboss deployed in the
    ..../server/[config]/deploy directory. Possibly you can alter the
    placement of the .../server directory in some configuration file.

    All the time your ejb is invalid as soon as you access the filesystem
    programatically it'd be interesting to know how you do when you program
    around it. Or do you mean like in patching jboss itself? It'd be nice if
    deployed files stayed somewhere in the /var/... hierarchy. Also it'd be
    nice if different users had their own deployment directories in their
    /home/... This would perhaps make JBoss a more widespread solution for
    web-hotels. It's hard to find anyone offering Tomcat support, and next
    to impossible to find support for JBoss ...

    Generally, JBoss might lack some features (albeit I do not really know
    which you refer to, really I think you should tell ...) that others
    have. I think the most important features of JBoss, besides being
    opensource, is the ease of installation, configuration and deployment.
    Jon Martin Solaas, Oct 17, 2004
  8. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Jon Martin Solaas <> wrote in message news:<2dccd.618$>...
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > On 16 Oct 2004 05:30:57 -0700, Andy wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have no prior knowledge of J2EE / EJB and the likes and want to set
    > >>up a J2EE application server on my PC running Fedora Linux 2. Can
    > >>anyone please suggest what would be a good and easily available app
    > >>server that I could setup and with which I could test out most of the
    > >>code that I write.

    > > Apache/Tomcat should do the trick..
    > > <http://jakarta.apache.org/>
    > > <http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/>
    > >
    > > HTH
    > >

    > Tomcat is a webcontainer, not an j2ee server. JBoss is a nice j2ee
    > server which is very easy to set up (just unzip, start with run.sh and
    > drop your applications in server/default/deploy directory). It comes
    > with a simple database (but can connect to any) and uses tomcat as it's
    > webcontainer.
    >
    > Oracle JDeveloper 10g is also nice (just unzip), and comes with
    > appserver (oc4j) embedded. You can register on otn.oracle.com and
    > download for non-commercial/educational purposes (check the licence).
    > Just make jdev.conf point to your java home on linux. You can easily
    > make applications that will run on jboss with jdeveloper.

    Is Oracle JDeveloper 10g an application server like JBoss, or is it an
    IDE? Also does it have any dependencies with the Oracle RDBMS engine
    -- because I will stick to my PostgreSQL for the moment.

    On the question of IDEs, is NetBeans a good enough IDE?

    > Several other alternatives exist also, but I have no experience with
    > them. Jonas is another opensource alternative to jboss and ofcourse you
    > have websphere and weblogic, I suppose they run on linux, though i'm not
    > sure about weblogic with their jrocket jvm ...

    Are there non-commercial versions of weblogic / websphere available
    that run on linux (no 30 day trial or so)?

    Cheers,
    Andy
    Andy, Oct 18, 2004
  9. Andy wrote:

    >>Oracle JDeveloper 10g is also nice (just unzip), and comes with
    >>appserver (oc4j) embedded. You can register on otn.oracle.com and
    >>download for non-commercial/educational purposes (check the licence).
    >>Just make jdev.conf point to your java home on linux. You can easily
    >>make applications that will run on jboss with jdeveloper.

    > Is Oracle JDeveloper 10g an application server like JBoss, or is it an
    > IDE? Also does it have any dependencies with the Oracle RDBMS engine
    > -- because I will stick to my PostgreSQL for the moment.

    JDeveloper is an IDE. oc4j, the j2ee appserver (similar to JBoss) from
    Oracle, is included and integrated. JDeveloper is not depending on
    Oracle RDBMS, however I do not know how well table/schema creation from
    JDeveloper models work with other databases, though. But if you already
    work with PostgreSQL you already have tools for that.

    > On the question of IDEs, is NetBeans a good enough IDE?

    Depends what you need. It doesn't have support for EJB (it's been a long
    time since I've used netbeans). Xdoclet can help you there, but then
    again, xdoclet is better integrated with Eclipse. Try it out and see if
    you like it. What it does it does well, in my experience.
    Jon Martin Solaas, Oct 18, 2004
  10. Jon Martin Solaas, Oct 19, 2004
  11. Andy

    Yogo Guest

    Yogo, Oct 19, 2004
  12. Andy

    Oscar kind Guest

    Jon Martin Solaas <> wrote:

    > Resin is not free.
    > http://www.caucho.com/sales/sales.xtp

    Resin 3.0.9 exists in two versions: one GPL'ed, the other not. The closed
    version supports clustering and several speed enhancements, the GPL'ed
    version doesn't. See "Distribution/licensing changes" (the first item):
    http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/features/resin-3.0.9.xtp

    --
    Oscar Kind http://home.hccnet.nl/okind/

    Oscar kind, Oct 19, 2004