    to help me?

    Thanks so much for your help.

    Steve

    Steve Kershaw, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Steve Kershaw

    sloan Guest

    http://www.codeproject.com/gen/design/DudeWheresMyBusinessLogic.asp

    That will help you understand the issue.

    He may go a little overboard with the "it has to be simple Select Insert
    Update and Delete statements", but the article is good.

    Presentation
    Biz
    DataLayer

    A couple of rules (imho)

    The DataLayer returns
    DataSets,
    IDataReaders,
    Scalars (values like the count of employees in the database or number of
    affected rows)
    void (nothing, the code just ran ok)

    The biz layer talks to the datalayer.
    The presentation layer talks to the biz layer.
    The presentation layer DOES NOT TALK to the datalayer.

    You put business rules in the biz layer. Sounds simple, but alot of people
    miss it.

    If an emp needs to have a date of birth before some date, it goes in teh biz
    layer.
    Don't put it in the presentation layer.

    well tiered development isn't something you learn overnight, but you'll
    never get it if you don't try.

    Good luck.!

    sloan, Mar 28, 2006

  3. This is a complex subject.
    I suggest you read the following book which is widely considered to the the
    authority on the subject:

    Expert VB 2005 Business Objects (by Rocky Lhotka)
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...14573&adid=0MN5QNXF4KW05MF3J962&link_code=as1

    or here's the C# version if you prefer:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...14573&adid=0DX2YFNHQP6HRCVHN7X0&link_code=as1

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Mar 28, 2006
  4. Thanks that helps a lot!

    Is the tier actually a .DLL? or is it a another solution, a project
    perhaps?
    I guess I also need to know how to start.

    Steve Kershaw, Mar 29, 2006