    abounding to put up front.
    Her site will be a simple html effort for now.
    Thanks

    ©®, Mar 25, 2006

  2. ©®

    Toby Inkster Guest

    ©® wrote:

    > I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
    > tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
    > that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
    > to someone else to get the same track free.

    It's not an easy matter, so if this is just a one-off thing you may be
    better off using a third-party service.

    The first couple of hits here look OK:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=sell digital files

    The basic technique if you wanted to do it yourself would be:

    1. gather any information you want from the user;
    2. direct the user to your payment service and let them do their stuff;
    3. receieve the user back from your payment service, who will hopefully
    provide some verification that the user has payed properly, in the
    form of a GET query string or POST data;
    4. process that data, to make sure the user has paid, and set a cookie on
    their system;
    5. provide a link to the music file(s);
    6. each music file should check for the presence of the cookie before
    allowing itself to be downloaded. (Yoy may be able to achieve this
    with Apache configuration directives, or a server-side script.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 25, 2006

  3. ©®

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > ©® wrote:
    >
    >> I have *no* idea how to start with this. Anyone care to point me to a
    >> tutorial as to how to make this available for purchase (e.g. PayPal) so
    >> that once one person purchases a track, they simply do not send the URL
    >> to someone else to get the same track free.

    > It's not an easy matter, so if this is just a one-off thing you may be
    > better off using a third-party service.
    >
    > The first couple of hits here look OK:
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=sell digital files
    >
    > The basic technique if you wanted to do it yourself would be:
    >
    > 1. gather any information you want from the user;
    > 2. direct the user to your payment service and let them do their stuff;
    > 3. receieve the user back from your payment service, who will hopefully
    > provide some verification that the user has payed properly, in the
    > form of a GET query string or POST data;
    > 4. process that data, to make sure the user has paid, and set a cookie on
    > their system;
    > 5. provide a link to the music file(s);
    > 6. each music file should check for the presence of the cookie before
    > allowing itself to be downloaded. (Yoy may be able to achieve this
    > with Apache configuration directives, or a server-side script.

    All well and good but once the file is downloaded there is no way to
    prevent it from being shared/copied.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Mar 26, 2006
  4. ©®

    ©® Guest

    "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message

    > All well and good but once the file is downloaded there is
    > no way to prevent it from being shared/copied.

    Yeah - good point! I was just hoping to not have a:
    a href="mysong.mp3" download link which anyone can get to.
    Thanks

    ©®, Mar 26, 2006