    Tom Guest

    I'm a VB/SQL programmer, but not familiar with WEB programming or the Microsoft products for this. I'm trying to set up a development workstation to create and test .asp files running server side VBScripting. My PC has Win2k Pro and Visual Studio Enterprise Ed. Does anyone know what other software I need to install in order to have a development Web Server?

    Thanks.

    Tom, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Tom

    Ray at Guest

    It's a pretty simple process, actually.

    Add/remove programs----Add/remove Windows components
    Select Internet Information Services. By default, I think that SMTP is not
    installed on W2K Pro, so go into the details and check that option or verify
    that it is checked.
    Click the necessary OKs and let W2K install IIS. If you do not have your
    I386 directory copied to your local drive and your setup path updated to
    that location, I believe you will be prompted for your W2K CD.

    After all this is finished, you will see a new directory in the root of your
    %systemdrive% called Inetpub. In Inetpub is wwwroot. In that directory is
    where you put your .asp files. Then, to load them, you enter
    http://localhost/yourfile.asp in your browser.

    www.textpad.com

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Tom

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:26:09 -0800, Tom
    <> wrote:

    >I'm a VB/SQL programmer, but not familiar with WEB programming or the Microsoft products for this. I'm trying to set up a development workstation to create and test .asp files running server side VBScripting. My PC has Win2k Pro and Visual Studio Enterprise Ed. Does anyone know what other software I need to install in order to have a development Web Server?

    IIS. Included on your W2K CD. You'll likely want to look at the .NET
    framework and ASP.NET, though that's a different set of newsgroups.

    Personally, I'd never develop on a single system for web applications.
    A server separate from a workstation would be a requirement to me, and
    the ability to use other software on the server, such as SQL,
    SMTP/POP, FTP and so on is pretty handy.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jan 22, 2004