Setting up for python django development with Debian Linux

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gary Roach, Oct 28, 2013.

  1. Gary Roach

    Gary Roach Guest

    Hi all,

    I have been trying to set up a python, django, mysql, virtualenvwrapper
    and git development project and am really confused. All of the
    documentation seems to ignore the apt-get installation methods used by
    Debian Linux and its derivatives. Does pip install the same as apt-get;
    I don't think so. If I use virtualenvwrapper, how does this fit with the
    normal debian (wheezy) installation. I also need git which just confuses
    the situation even more. Must I give up the automatic updating system
    that Debian provides when setting up the development environment? The
    documentation centers on Windoz, Mac and generic Linux distributions and
    ignores the automation of the Debian installation. All of the
    documentation I have found concentrates on the installation of
    individual packages or on the use of python-django and is very sketchy
    on the overall virtualenv(wrapper), git, python-django file structure
    and installation order.

    Any help with straightening out my brain in this area will be sincerely
    appreciated.

    Gary R.
    Gary Roach, Oct 28, 2013

  2. Gary Roach

    rusi Guest

    On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:16:07 AM UTC+5:30, Gary Roach wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been trying to set up a python, django, mysql, virtualenvwrapper
    > and git development project and am really confused. All of the
    > documentation seems to ignore the apt-get installation methods used by
    > Debian Linux and its derivatives.

    Have you seen this?
    https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Distributions

    It seems to be saying that the standard debian/ubuntu package 'python-django' works
    rusi, Oct 29, 2013

  3. Gary Roach

    D.M. Procida Guest

    Gary Roach <> wrote:

    > I have been trying to set up a python, django, mysql, virtualenvwrapper
    > and git development project and am really confused. All of the
    > documentation seems to ignore the apt-get installation methods used by
    > Debian Linux and its derivatives.

    I assume you've either worked this out or given up by now, but in any
    case...

    > Does pip install the same as apt-get; I don't think so. If I use
    > virtualenvwrapper, how does this fit with the normal debian (wheezy)
    > installation.

    Firstly, pip doesn't install in the same way apt-get does.

    The general rule is: if it's a Python package (such as Django) use pip;
    if it's not (such as MySQL) use apt-get.

    Secondly, there is little if any need to install Python packages outside
    a virtualenv. It's almost always more convenient to have them in a
    virtualenv, rather than system-wide.

    > I also need git which just confuses
    > the situation even more. Must I give up the automatic updating system
    > that Debian provides when setting up the development environment?

    I just use apt-get to install Git and update it every now and then.

    Daniele
    D.M. Procida, Nov 13, 2013