setting up virtual directory pointing to same web server

mbosco51

Hi. I have an external facing website that has both a customer login
and an admin login. I want to prevent external access to the admin
login for security reasons. On the same webserver I created a new
website running on a different port for the admin piece. So my
directory structure looks like this...

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\customer\
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\admin\

All the admin login pages are now stored under admin. However after
the initial few login pages the websites are the same. I definitely
dont want to duplicate all the non-login pages across both websites
and I can't transfer control to the other website after the admin logs
in because the session wouldn't be maintained. So what I plan on
doing is creating a virtual directory under admin like so...

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\admin\virtual\

where the virtual path points to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\customer\. This
way I can then link to all the non-login pages without having to store
them in two different places and my session will hold because I am not
transferring control to another website. I am assuming this would not
have an adverse affect on the normal customer login.

Does anyone forsee any problems with this approach?

Thanks.

[...]

Actually now that I try to work through this it looks like my approach
will not maintain the session. My session id is changing when I cross
into the virutal path. Any suggestions?

Thanks.