setting up virtual directory pointing to same web server

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by mbosco51@hotmail.com, Mar 13, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi. I have an external facing website that has both a customer login
    and an admin login. I want to prevent external access to the admin
    login for security reasons. On the same webserver I created a new
    website running on a different port for the admin piece. So my
    directory structure looks like this...

    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\customer\
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\admin\

    All the admin login pages are now stored under admin. However after
    the initial few login pages the websites are the same. I definitely
    dont want to duplicate all the non-login pages across both websites
    and I can't transfer control to the other website after the admin logs
    in because the session wouldn't be maintained. So what I plan on
    doing is creating a virtual directory under admin like so...

    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\admin\virtual\

    where the virtual path points to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\customer\. This
    way I can then link to all the non-login pages without having to store
    them in two different places and my session will hold because I am not
    transferring control to another website. I am assuming this would not
    have an adverse affect on the normal customer login.

    Does anyone forsee any problems with this approach?

    Thanks.

    , Mar 13, 2007

    On Mar 13, 12:01 pm, wrote:
    > Hi. I have an external facing website that has both a customer login
    > and an admin login. I want to prevent external access to the admin
    > login for security reasons. On the same webserver I created a new
    > website running on a different port for the admin piece. So my
    > directory structure looks like this...
    >
    > c:\inetpub\wwwroot\customer\
    > c:\inetpub\wwwroot\admin\
    >
    > All the admin login pages are now stored under admin. However after
    > the initial few login pages the websites are the same. I definitely
    > dont want to duplicate all the non-login pages across both websites
    > and I can't transfer control to the other website after the admin logs
    > in because the session wouldn't be maintained. So what I plan on
    > doing is creating a virtual directory under admin like so...
    >
    > c:\inetpub\wwwroot\admin\virtual\
    >
    > where the virtual path points to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\customer\. This
    > way I can then link to all the non-login pages without having to store
    > them in two different places and my session will hold because I am not
    > transferring control to another website. I am assuming this would not
    > have an adverse affect on the normal customer login.
    >
    > Does anyone forsee any problems with this approach?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Actually now that I try to work through this it looks like my approach
    will not maintain the session. My session id is changing when I cross
    into the virutal path. Any suggestions?

    Thanks.

    , Mar 13, 2007