Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ayesha_ahsan88@yahoo.com, Oct 9, 2005.

    I am new to ASP.NET using VS.NET and I am trying to create an ASP.NET
    Web Service Project. In Visual Studio, I select ASP.NET Web Service
    empty project and type in http://Localhost/FirstProject and get the
    following error:
    "Visual Studio cannot create or open the appliction because no Web
    Server was detected at this URL:http://Localhost/FirstProject. Make
    sure the Web Server is installed and running."

    I am connected to the internet using the Local Area Connection
    First of all, I am not sure if "localhost" is the name of the
    webserver...How do I find the name of the Web Server and make sure it
    is working?

    I read up, that this local web server is provided by IIS. I just
    purchased my computer with Windows XP, so does my computer comes with
    IIS installed or do I have to install it?

    I know these questions are really basic for people who frequent this
    group but I will appreciate if someone can help me with it.

    Thanks in advance.
    , Oct 9, 2005

  2. Is it XP Home or Professoinal? I believe XP Home does not come with IIS.

    --
    - Paul Glavich
    MVP ASP.NET

    Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET], Oct 10, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > I read up, that this local web server is provided by IIS. I just
    > purchased my computer with Windows XP, so does my computer comes with
    > IIS installed or do I have to install it?

    If you have XP Home then you won't be able to install IIS. If you have XP
    Pro then you need to explicitly install IIS using Control Panel / Add/Remove
    Programs / Add/Remove Windows Components.
    Leon Mayne [MVP], Oct 10, 2005

    Thanks for the reply.
    I have Windows XP Home edition...
    SInce i cant install IIS, what other options do I have?
    , Oct 10, 2005

    You could try webmatrix http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/
    Leon Mayne [MVP], Oct 11, 2005
  6. There's also Cassini :
    http://www.asp.net/Projects/Cassini/Download/Default.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

    and CassiniEx, based on Cassini : http://www.systemex.net/CassiniEx/
    CassiniEx comes with source code, so you can modify it.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    Foros de ASP.NET en EspaƱol : http://asp.net.do/foros/

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 11, 2005