Setting up Web Server for ASP.NET Web Service Project

ayesha_ahsan88

Hi,
I am new to ASP.NET using VS.NET and I am trying to create an ASP.NET
Web Service Project. In Visual Studio, I select ASP.NET Web Service
empty project and type in http://Localhost/FirstProject and get the
following error:
"Visual Studio cannot create or open the appliction because no Web
Server was detected at this URL:http://Localhost/FirstProject. Make
sure the Web Server is installed and running."

I am connected to the internet using the Local Area Connection
First of all, I am not sure if "localhost" is the name of the
webserver...How do I find the name of the Web Server and make sure it
is working?

I read up, that this local web server is provided by IIS. I just
purchased my computer with Windows XP, so does my computer comes with
IIS installed or do I have to install it?

I know these questions are really basic for people who frequent this
group but I will appreciate if someone can help me with it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Glavich [MVP ASP.NET]

Is it XP Home or Professoinal? I believe XP Home does not come with IIS.

Leon Mayne [MVP]

I read up, that this local web server is provided by IIS. I just
purchased my computer with Windows XP, so does my computer comes with
IIS installed or do I have to install it?

If you have XP Home then you won't be able to install IIS. If you have XP
Pro then you need to explicitly install IIS using Control Panel / Add/Remove
Programs / Add/Remove Windows Components.

ayesha_ahsan88

Thanks for the reply.
I have Windows XP Home edition...
SInce i cant install IIS, what other options do I have?