Setting Window Size using Pack Under Tkinter

Fuzzyman

I'm having trouble implementing my GUI using Tkinter......
I've been working through the Tkinter tutorials from 'Programming
Python' and am generally happy enough with the functionality and feel
of the results *but* - I can't see how to set the size of the root
window (or any top level window) and to stop it being resized........

Thanks for any help.

Fuzzyman

--

YAPLP
Yet Another Python Links Page

Python Utils

http://www.Voidspace.org.uk
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site -
covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology,
spirituality, fiction and more.

---
http://www.atlantibots.org.uk
Atlantibots - stomping across the worlds of Atlantis.
---
http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk
---

Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow talent
to the dark place where it leads. -Erica Jong
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.
-Milan Kundera

duikboot

from Tkinter import *
gui=Tk()

####code####
gui.geometry("+%d+%d" %(300, 100))
gui.resizable(0,0)

if __name__=='__main__':
gui.mainloop()

duikboot

from Tkinter import *
gui=Tk()

####code####
gui.geometry("+%d+%d" %(300, 100))
gui.resizable(0,0)
gui.mainloop()

Will work offcourse too.. :)

cheers,

Arjen

Fuzzyman

Short of actually trying it...... (when I get home I *will* try it)

Would the following work :

from Tkinter import *
gui=Tk()
Button(gui, text='A button', command=a_function).pack()

####code####
gui.geometry("+%d+%d" %(300, 100))
gui.resizable(0,0)
gui.mainloop()

??

If I recall correctly it ought to.... (mixing the pack and geometry
methods in the same GUI)...

Anyway - thanks.

Fuzzy

Eric Brunel

Fuzzyman said:
Short of actually trying it...... (when I get home I *will* try it)

Would the following work :

from Tkinter import *
gui=Tk()
Button(gui, text='A button', command=a_function).pack()

gui.geometry("+%d+%d" %(300, 100))
gui.resizable(0,0)
gui.mainloop()

??

Yes it will. Note however that doing gui.geometry("+300+100") will actually move
the window, not resize it. To resize the window, use gui.geometry("300x100")

More generally, the syntax for the geometry is "WxH+X+Y" where W and H are the
window's width and height resp. and X & Y the coordinates of its top-left corner
from the top-left corner of the screen.