Setting Windows Environment Variables

Cameron, Gemma (UK)

Hi all!

I'm another Ruby noob and wondered if any of you can help me with my=
problem.=0D

I've have been tasked with writing some rake files to automate parts of our=
project and to begin I'm trying to automate the setup of the build=
machine. The first task is to set the environment variables.=0D

Can this be done in Ruby without using system("%PATH% =3D=
%PATH%;c:\ruby\bin") etc.?

Thanks in advance!!!! ( :

Regards

Gem

Jan Svitok

Hi all!

I'm another Ruby noob and wondered if any of you can help me with my problem.

I've have been tasked with writing some rake files to automate parts of our project and to begin I'm trying to automate the setup of the build machine. The first task is to set the environment variables.

Can this be done in Ruby without using system("%PATH% = %PATH%;c:\ruby\bin") etc.?

Thanks in advance!!!! ( :

ENV['PATH'] += "c:\ruby\bin"

will be vaild only in processes that you'll start from your script, in
other words, you cannot modify parent environment. (you could do by
some batch file wizardry)

J.

Austin Ziegler

ENV cannot be assigned too.
ENV["PATH"] => "C:\\Ruby\\bin;..."
ENV["PATH"] += ";C:\\tmp" => "C:\\Ruby\\bin;...;C:\\tmp"
system("cmd")
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\home>PATH
PATH=C:\Ruby\bin;...;C:\tmp

The environment CAN be assigned to. What you can't do is propagate it
upwards. Any processes you spawn from your Ruby application will use
your new environment table, but you can't call a Ruby application to
set your environment in its parent.

-austin