SETUP Appache CGI (Local Computer) (win XP) help

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by JohnCreighton_@hotmail.com, May 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
    computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came with
    apache by typing:
    http://192.168.1.1/chi-bin/printenv.pl
    It said I wasn't configured properly. I downloaded PXperl, because I
    thought I might need a version of perl on my computer. It still
    didn't work. I also downloaded mod_perl-1.29 because I thought you
    might need this to run perl on apache. I tried installing it by going
    to its director in the command prompt and typing:
    perl makefile.pl

    I get some errors like:
    Can't open perl script "\lib/ExtUtils/xsuppp": No such file or
    directory.
    (You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find
    "\lib\CORE\perl.h")

    I am not sure what the second error means but I know \lib/ExtUtilsxsupp
    exists in PXperl. Is it no included in the search path properly of all
    perl scripts. How might I included it? I am using windows XP if that
    helps.

    , May 2, 2005

  2. wrote in news:1115004509.200330.61950
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
    > computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came
    > with apache by typing:

    Web server configuration issues are not really topical here.

    FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on Windows
    XP has always consisted of two steps for me:

    1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
    2. Download and install Apache

    Optionally,

    3. Install mod_perl using ppm

    All these steps are "fire and forget".

    I do not know what you mean by "simulate perl cgi".

    Please read the guidelines for this group, as they contain valuable
    information on how to figure out if this forum is the best place to get
    help. Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be better
    served in a group dedicated to your web server.

    Sinan
    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, May 2, 2005

  3. A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on Windows
    > XP has always consisted of two steps for me:
    >
    > 1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
    > 2. Download and install Apache
    >
    > Optionally,
    >
    > 3. Install mod_perl using ppm

    If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:

    1. Download and install IndigoPerl

    http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, May 2, 2005
  4. Ron Savage Guest

    Ron Savage, May 2, 2005

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > > FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on

    Windows
    > > XP has always consisted of two steps for me:
    > >
    > > 1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
    > > 2. Download and install Apache
    > >
    > > Optionally,
    > >
    > > 3. Install mod_perl using ppm

    > If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:
    >
    > 1. Download and install IndigoPerl
    >
    > http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm
    >
    > --
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Hey, thanks this helped out a lot. :) I went to the site and found that
    they already have a bunch of stuff put together. You download perl
    mod_perl, apache and php and my sql as one. I then tried running the
    test files and noticed that the first line in printenv.pl was:
    #!c:/Perl/bin/Perl.exe
    While the first line in helloschi.pl was:
    #!perl
    I changed the first line in printenv.pl to #!perl and found it worked.
    So I guess it was a perl problem not an apache problem =P

    The php test worked after uncommenting the dll in the configure file
    that they suggested. However mysql.pl didn't work. Oh, well at least
    I got something working now. I wonder if I my previous instillation was
    correct and all I had to do is change the first line of the test
    script. I assume the first line says what prompt command to use to call
    perl.

    , May 2, 2005

    A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    > wrote in news:1115004509.200330.61950
    > @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
    > > computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came
    > > with apache by typing:

    > Web server configuration issues are not really topical here.
    >
    > FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on

    Windows
    > XP has always consisted of two steps for me:
    >
    > 1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
    > 2. Download and install Apache
    >
    > Optionally,
    >
    > 3. Install mod_perl using ppm
    >
    > All these steps are "fire and forget".
    >
    > I do not know what you mean by "simulate perl cgi".
    >
    > Please read the guidelines for this group, as they contain valuable
    > information on how to figure out if this forum is the best place to

    get
    > help. Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be

    better
    > served in a group dedicated to your web server.
    >
    > Sinan
    > --
    > A. Sinan Unur <>
    > (reverse each component and remove .invalid for email address)
    >
    > comp.lang.perl.misc guidelines on the WWW:
    > http://mail.augustmail.com/~tadmc/clpmisc/clpmisc_guidelines.html

    This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
    didn't consider how to run your programs under a given environment a
    valid topic of discussions. It is often difficult in some languages to
    separate the compiler from the language because often compilers in some
    languages come with various extensions of the stands. There are other
    issues with regards to efficiency and memory usage in varies methods of
    running compiling, interpreting the code of that language.

    I went to the rules of the group you suggested and it did not say
    specifically, "do not ask question about how to run perl use the
    falling class of techniques". It did say, do not use these rules as a
    license to flame and I suppose you respected these guidelines. Anyway,
    there seems to be an odd crusade in these groups to make a bold
    distinction between as to what is and what isn't perl instead of
    trying to discuss how to get the best results using perl with what ever
    technology that might entail.

    , May 2, 2005
  7. wrote:
    > Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
    >> If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:
    >>
    >> 1. Download and install IndigoPerl
    >>
    >> http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

    > Hey, thanks this helped out a lot. :) I went to the site and found that
    > they already have a bunch of stuff put together. You download perl
    > mod_perl, apache and php and my sql as one.

    Is MySQL really included nowadays? I think I installed that separately.

    <snip>

    > However mysql.pl didn't work.

    See above.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, May 2, 2005
  8. wrote:
    > A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >> Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be better
    >> served in a group dedicated to your web server.

    > This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to
    > that didn't consider how to run your programs under a given
    > environment a valid topic of discussions.

    <snip>

    > Anyway, there seems to be an odd crusade in these groups to make a
    > bold distinction between as to what is and what isn't perl instead of
    > trying to discuss how to get the best results using perl with what
    > ever technology that might entail.

    I for one agree that there is an exaggerated focus on that distinction.
    Note, though, that you don't make many friends here by pointing it out. ;-)

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, May 2, 2005
  9. Anno Siegel Guest

    <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
    > didn't consider...

    If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
    exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
    things the way you think they should be done.

    Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
    accomplish anything.

    Anno

    Anno Siegel, May 4, 2005
  10. Anno Siegel <-berlin.de> wrote:
    > <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >
    >> This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
    >> didn't consider...

    > If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
    > exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
    > things the way you think they should be done.
    >
    > Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
    > accomplish anything.

    It helps me to save time should he ever return.

    That's an accomplishment. :)

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, May 4, 2005

    Anno Siegel wrote:
    > <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >
    > > This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to

    that
    > > didn't consider...

    > If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
    > exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
    > things the way you think they should be done.
    >
    > Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
    > accomplish anything.
    >
    > Anno

    Thank you for your suggestions. My comments weren't directed at the
    whole. It was more an impression I got from a few vocal members while
    scanning though some of the other threads in this group. Even the
    person that initially responded may only of been trying to be helpful.

    However, I do question the tone of the posting guidelines. I understand
    the desire to encourage a high quality discussions but to me questions
    about a language are the basics and I would think advanced members
    would want to move beyond that. It is my understanding that Perl is one
    of the easier languages.

    There are languages much more mathematically advanced like Haskell. I
    wonder if the more basic someone's special knowledge is the more
    arrogant they will be towards others that don't know it proficiently.
    For instance I posted on a database newsgroup before and I was accused
    of being a troll.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/ database&rnum=1#11c0e8e150b3bc43

    Not to denigrate CS people but a database is just a piece of software.
    However, if I post on a group about a more advanced language or
    something to do with mathematics then people are much friendlier and
    much more helpful.

    Anyway, I don't know if I should even respond to you even though you
    were friendly, or others who may be being arrogant about how people
    should behave in this group. I responded once before recently in
    another newsgroup about preconceived assumptions people make when
    replying to a post. It completely killed the thread and turned into a
    debate about psychological behavior. See:

    Object vs type:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/&rnum=7#da809bf45ee267c6

    It seems that people who arrogantly try to dictate conduct do as much a
    disservice to the content of a newsgroup as the people who try to
    promote a freer wider more inclusive discussion.

    Hopefully this will be my last post on this subject and I can just bite
    my tong on each response I disagree with in this regard. I hope my
    future posts will be of a much greater interest to this group.

    On another note, what I was thinking of using Perl for is a cgi based
    game like kings of chaos
    http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=x8xqj597
    but about mars canonization. Rather then rely on Perls object oriented
    model to describe the logical relationship between things I was
    thinking of using perl to write perl based on a language by my design
    that allowed a much richer set of relationships between data then type
    and class.

    My thought is the simulation should be specified in an almost algebraic
    fashion and then Perl would process the text files to create a Perl
    representation of the simulation. Here is an intial stab at what such a
    meta language might look like. (note hopefully I understand the word
    meta language, although ML is a functional programming language, I
    think it is also used to mean code that writes code (i.e. meta
    programming) forgive my ignorance).

    (#1) User_Goup
    (%1,#1) People:(Singular person):(discrete)
    ( ,%2,#1) Nutrition

    1<common=(continuous)>

    ( , ,%3,#1) Energy:(units Cal):(continuous)

    ---2<rel=agr_mix, typical{fat=33%, Protein=33%, Crbohydrates=34%}
    ;;The type of relationship means that there is a typical mix
    of aggregate components
    ;;and information about the metric of the container gives
    information about
    ;;the metric of its constituent parts. Thus storing
    information about the constituent parts
    ;;Isn't strictly necessary, to estimate the constituent parts.
    -------3<common=(Energy 5 cal/g):(units g),
    classname=Food_energy_group>

    ( , , ,%4,#1) Fat
    ( , , , ,%5,#2) Omaga3
    ( , , , , ,#3) Other

    1</>2</>3</>

    ( , , , ,%5,#1) Saturated
    ( , , , , ,#2) nonsaturated
    ( , , , , ,#3) transfat
    ( , , ,%4,#1) End types of Fat
    Restart types of Food Energy

    ( , , ,%4, ) Protein
    ( , , , , ) Carbohydrates
    ( , ,%3,#1) End types of Energy Sources
    Restart Nutrition Components

    ( , ,%3, ) Vitamins
    ( , , , ) Minerals
    ( ,%2,#1) End Nutrition components
    (%1,#1 ) End People Properties
    Restart User Group Properties

    (#1,#2 ) Shelter #People
    (%1, ) birthrate people/day
    ( , ) FoodProduction cal/day
    ( ,#5 ) attackBonus strength
    ( , ) DefenseBonus strength
    ( , ) Power
    ( , ) Transportation (meters per day per person)
    ( , ) RobBonus Strength
    ( ,#10) SpyBonus Strength
    ( , ) Moral #/person

    I won't elaborate on how I think this should work unless there is
    interest. But it should be appetent that trying to create all of these
    relationships with Perl would take up much more space. Thus there is
    motivation for a more elegant algebraic approach.

    Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on this since I got to
    get my electrical engineering maters thesis to finish. My thesis is on
    quasilinear Kalman filters. Now an interesting question remains that if
    someone used Perl to parse another language, would the other language
    be of interest to the discussion or only the Perl issues required to
    processes the text? I understand that people only have limited time to
    learn thing. Thus any other issues should only be discussed in a
    summarized fashion. However, a complete lack of desire to broaden the
    discussion stikes me as somewhat anti intellectual. The true
    intellectual is more interested on how knowledge fits together then in
    any one piece of knowledge.

    , May 4, 2005
  12. <> wrote:

    > It seems that people who arrogantly try to dictate conduct

    And aren't *you* also attempting to dictate conduct with
    these followups?

    (albeit in the opposite direction.)

    I cannot find any arrogance in this thread (excluding you).

    What did you find arrogant?

    > disservice to the content of a newsgroup as the people who try to
    > promote a freer wider more inclusive discussion.

    Have you been lurking here for several weeks?

    If not, then you are really not yet in a position to judge
    what the effect of unbridled application discussions would be.

    > Now an interesting question remains that if
    > someone used Perl to parse another language, would the other language
    > be of interest to the discussion or only the Perl issues required to
    > processes the text?

    Only the Perl issues required to process the text.

    The Perl newsgroup is for discussing Perl programming, not for
    discussing the myriad application domains where Perl could be used.

    That's not to say the such diversions don't occur more or less frequently.

    There _are_ newsgroups that are intereted in languages too BTW.

    > However, a complete lack of desire to broaden the
    > discussion stikes me as somewhat anti intellectual.

    Failing to care about the proper partitioning of your problem
    is more than "somewhat" anti-intellectual. It is plain silly
    as it causes you to look for answers in the wrong places.

    Tad McClellan, May 5, 2005