SETUP Appache CGI (Local Computer) (win XP) help

JohnCreighton_

I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came with
apache by typing:
http://192.168.1.1/chi-bin/printenv.pl
It said I wasn't configured properly. I downloaded PXperl, because I
thought I might need a version of perl on my computer. It still
didn't work. I also downloaded mod_perl-1.29 because I thought you
might need this to run perl on apache. I tried installing it by going
to its director in the command prompt and typing:
perl makefile.pl

I get some errors like:
Can't open perl script "\lib/ExtUtils/xsuppp": No such file or
directory.
(You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find
"\lib\CORE\perl.h")

I am not sure what the second error means but I know \lib/ExtUtilsxsupp
exists in PXperl. Is it no included in the search path properly of all
perl scripts. How might I included it? I am using windows XP if that
helps.

A. Sinan Unur

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
I am having trouble setting up apace to simulate perl cgi on my
computer. I tried using tried using the demo perl script that came
with apache by typing:

Web server configuration issues are not really topical here.

FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on Windows
XP has always consisted of two steps for me:

1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
2. Download and install Apache

Optionally,

3. Install mod_perl using ppm

All these steps are "fire and forget".

I do not know what you mean by "simulate perl cgi".

Please read the guidelines for this group, as they contain valuable
information on how to figure out if this forum is the best place to get
help. Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be better
served in a group dedicated to your web server.

Sinan

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

A. Sinan Unur said:
FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on Windows
XP has always consisted of two steps for me:

1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
2. Download and install Apache

Optionally,

3. Install mod_perl using ppm

If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:

1. Download and install IndigoPerl

http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

JohnCreighton_

Gunnar said:
If you are 'lazy', those steps can be replaced with:

1. Download and install IndigoPerl

http://www.indigostar.com/indigoperl.htm

Hey, thanks this helped out a lot. :) I went to the site and found that
they already have a bunch of stuff put together. You download perl
mod_perl, apache and php and my sql as one. I then tried running the
test files and noticed that the first line in printenv.pl was:
#!c:/Perl/bin/Perl.exe
While the first line in helloschi.pl was:
#!perl
I changed the first line in printenv.pl to #!perl and found it worked.
So I guess it was a perl problem not an apache problem =P

The php test worked after uncommenting the dll in the configure file
that they suggested. However mysql.pl didn't work. Oh, well at least
I got something working now. I wonder if I my previous instillation was
correct and all I had to do is change the first line of the test
script. I assume the first line says what prompt command to use to call
perl.

JohnCreighton_

A. Sinan Unur said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote in @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Web server configuration issues are not really topical here.

FWIW, I never did anything special. Setting up Apache + Perl on Windows
XP has always consisted of two steps for me:

1. Download and install ActiveState Perl
2. Download and install Apache

Optionally,

3. Install mod_perl using ppm

All these steps are "fire and forget".

I do not know what you mean by "simulate perl cgi".

Please read the guidelines for this group, as they contain valuable
information on how to figure out if this forum is the best place to get
help. Since you do not seem to have a Perl question, you would be better
served in a group dedicated to your web server.

Sinan

This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
didn't consider how to run your programs under a given environment a
valid topic of discussions. It is often difficult in some languages to
separate the compiler from the language because often compilers in some
languages come with various extensions of the stands. There are other
issues with regards to efficiency and memory usage in varies methods of
running compiling, interpreting the code of that language.

I went to the rules of the group you suggested and it did not say
specifically, "do not ask question about how to run perl use the
falling class of techniques". It did say, do not use these rules as a
license to flame and I suppose you respected these guidelines. Anyway,
there seems to be an odd crusade in these groups to make a bold
distinction between as to what is and what isn't perl instead of
trying to discuss how to get the best results using perl with what ever
technology that might entail.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Hey, thanks this helped out a lot. :) I went to the site and found that
they already have a bunch of stuff put together. You download perl
mod_perl, apache and php and my sql as one.

Is MySQL really included nowadays? I think I installed that separately.

However mysql.pl didn't work.

See above.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to
that didn't consider how to run your programs under a given
environment a valid topic of discussions.

Anyway, there seems to be an odd crusade in these groups to make a
bold distinction between as to what is and what isn't perl instead of
trying to discuss how to get the best results using perl with what
ever technology that might entail.

I for one agree that there is an exaggerated focus on that distinction.
Note, though, that you don't make many friends here by pointing it out. ;-)

Anno Siegel

This is the only computer language news group that I ever been to that
didn't consider...

If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
things the way you think they should be done.

Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
accomplish anything.

Anno

Tad McClellan

Anno Siegel said:
If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
things the way you think they should be done.

Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
accomplish anything.

It helps me to save time should he ever return.

That's an accomplishment. :)

JohnCreighton_

Anno said:
If you think there is something wrong with the newsgroup, there is
exactly one thing you can do: Stick around, become a regular, do
things the way you think they should be done.

Telling us we're doing it all wrong before you leave isn't going to
accomplish anything.

Anno

Thank you for your suggestions. My comments weren't directed at the
whole. It was more an impression I got from a few vocal members while
scanning though some of the other threads in this group. Even the
person that initially responded may only of been trying to be helpful.

However, I do question the tone of the posting guidelines. I understand
the desire to encourage a high quality discussions but to me questions
about a language are the basics and I would think advanced members
would want to move beyond that. It is my understanding that Perl is one
of the easier languages.

There are languages much more mathematically advanced like Haskell. I
wonder if the more basic someone's special knowledge is the more
arrogant they will be towards others that don't know it proficiently.
For instance I posted on a database newsgroup before and I was accused
of being a troll.
http://groups-beta.google.com/[email protected]+database&rnum=1#11c0e8e150b3bc43

Not to denigrate CS people but a database is just a piece of software.
However, if I post on a group about a more advanced language or
something to do with mathematics then people are much friendlier and
much more helpful.

Anyway, I don't know if I should even respond to you even though you
were friendly, or others who may be being arrogant about how people
should behave in this group. I responded once before recently in
another newsgroup about preconceived assumptions people make when
replying to a post. It completely killed the thread and turned into a
debate about psychological behavior. See:

Object vs type:
http://groups-beta.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=7#da809bf45ee267c6

It seems that people who arrogantly try to dictate conduct do as much a
disservice to the content of a newsgroup as the people who try to
promote a freer wider more inclusive discussion.

Hopefully this will be my last post on this subject and I can just bite
my tong on each response I disagree with in this regard. I hope my
future posts will be of a much greater interest to this group.

On another note, what I was thinking of using Perl for is a cgi based
game like kings of chaos
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=x8xqj597
but about mars canonization. Rather then rely on Perls object oriented
model to describe the logical relationship between things I was
thinking of using perl to write perl based on a language by my design
that allowed a much richer set of relationships between data then type
and class.

My thought is the simulation should be specified in an almost algebraic
fashion and then Perl would process the text files to create a Perl
representation of the simulation. Here is an intial stab at what such a
meta language might look like. (note hopefully I understand the word
meta language, although ML is a functional programming language, I
think it is also used to mean code that writes code (i.e. meta
programming) forgive my ignorance).

(#1) User_Goup
(%1,#1) People:(Singular person):(discrete)
( ,%2,#1) Nutrition

1<common=(continuous)>

( , ,%3,#1) Energy:(units Cal):(continuous)

---2<rel=agr_mix, typical{fat=33%, Protein=33%, Crbohydrates=34%}
;;The type of relationship means that there is a typical mix
of aggregate components
;;and information about the metric of the container gives
information about
;;the metric of its constituent parts. Thus storing
information about the constituent parts
;;Isn't strictly necessary, to estimate the constituent parts.
-------3<common=(Energy 5 cal/g):(units g),
classname=Food_energy_group>

( , , ,%4,#1) Fat
( , , , ,%5,#2) Omaga3
( , , , , ,#3) Other

1</>2</>3</>

( , , , ,%5,#1) Saturated
( , , , , ,#2) nonsaturated
( , , , , ,#3) transfat
( , , ,%4,#1) End types of Fat
Restart types of Food Energy

( , , ,%4, ) Protein
( , , , , ) Carbohydrates
( , ,%3,#1) End types of Energy Sources
Restart Nutrition Components

( , ,%3, ) Vitamins
( , , , ) Minerals
( ,%2,#1) End Nutrition components
(%1,#1 ) End People Properties
Restart User Group Properties

(#1,#2 ) Shelter #People
(%1, ) birthrate people/day
( , ) FoodProduction cal/day
( ,#5 ) attackBonus strength
( , ) DefenseBonus strength
( , ) Power
( , ) Transportation (meters per day per person)
( , ) RobBonus Strength
( ,#10) SpyBonus Strength
( , ) Moral #/person

I won't elaborate on how I think this should work unless there is
interest. But it should be appetent that trying to create all of these
relationships with Perl would take up much more space. Thus there is
motivation for a more elegant algebraic approach.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on this since I got to
get my electrical engineering maters thesis to finish. My thesis is on
quasilinear Kalman filters. Now an interesting question remains that if
someone used Perl to parse another language, would the other language
be of interest to the discussion or only the Perl issues required to
processes the text? I understand that people only have limited time to
learn thing. Thus any other issues should only be discussed in a
summarized fashion. However, a complete lack of desire to broaden the
discussion stikes me as somewhat anti intellectual. The true
intellectual is more interested on how knowledge fits together then in
any one piece of knowledge.

Tad McClellan

It seems that people who arrogantly try to dictate conduct

And aren't *you* also attempting to dictate conduct with
these followups?

(albeit in the opposite direction.)

I cannot find any arrogance in this thread (excluding you).

What did you find arrogant?

disservice to the content of a newsgroup as the people who try to
promote a freer wider more inclusive discussion.

Have you been lurking here for several weeks?

If not, then you are really not yet in a position to judge
what the effect of unbridled application discussions would be.

Now an interesting question remains that if
someone used Perl to parse another language, would the other language
be of interest to the discussion or only the Perl issues required to
processes the text?

Only the Perl issues required to process the text.

The Perl newsgroup is for discussing Perl programming, not for
discussing the myriad application domains where Perl could be used.

That's not to say the such diversions don't occur more or less frequently.

There _are_ newsgroups that are intereted in languages too BTW.

However, a complete lack of desire to broaden the
discussion stikes me as somewhat anti intellectual.

Failing to care about the proper partitioning of your problem
is more than "somewhat" anti-intellectual. It is plain silly
as it causes you to look for answers in the wrong places.