setup.py installation and module search path

Russ

When I run setup.py to install a pure python package, is it supposed
automatically set my search path to find the installed modules? Or am
supposed to set my PYTHONPATH variable myself in my .bashrc file?

And what if I don't have root priviledge? Then what is supposed to
happen? Can anyone give me a clue? Thanks.

Larry Bates

Russ said:
When I run setup.py to install a pure python package, is it supposed
automatically set my search path to find the installed modules? Or am
supposed to set my PYTHONPATH variable myself in my .bashrc file?

And what if I don't have root priviledge? Then what is supposed to
happen? Can anyone give me a clue? Thanks.
I'm no expert, but I think what normally happens is the module gets
installed into ../pythonxx/lib/site-packages/<module> and if it
installs __init__.py file there they get automatically searched.
At least that the way things work for me.

-Larry

Russ

Larry said:
I'm no expert, but I think what normally happens is the module gets
installed into ../pythonxx/lib/site-packages/<module> and if it
installs __init__.py file there they get automatically searched.
At least that the way things work for me.

But if I don't have root priviledge, that doesn't happen. Is there a
setup.py option to get a
package installed just in my own account in such a way that my module
search path gets
updated?

Gabriel Genellina

But if I don't have root priviledge, that doesn't happen. Is there a
setup.py option to get a
package installed just in my own account in such a way that my module
search path gets
updated?

Use the --home option (or --prefix). You may need to set the PYTHONPATH
environment variable to ~/lib/python