Setup.rb 5 coming soon, could use some assistance

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Intransition, Dec 2, 2009.

  1. Intransition

    Intransition Guest

    Over the last week I've been readying Setup.rb 5.0 for release. This
    is a rewrite of setup.rb that I have been planning for some time.
    Minero Aoki's last version, 3.4.1, is a monolithic script. Over the
    course of the 4.x series I have been re-working portions of the
    original, for instance I retrofitted it to use OptionParser. With 5.x
    I have now made the system truly object-oriented --each phase of the
    setup process has it's own class. I have also added Cucumber features
    to test overall functionality of the system.

    While there are important and significant differences between the
    original 3.4.1 version and the current 5.0.0 verison, the overall
    functionality remains the same. The important distinctions are:

    * Config file is stored in SetupConfig instead of .config (modern
    projects often use .config as a directory)
    * The config files now uses YAML (and can be dynamic via Erb if
    needed).
    * The directory convention 'conf' has been changed to 'etc' (per FHS).
    * Multi-package project layouts are no longer supported (YAGNI).
    * Old Metaconfig API is no longer supported; support is now handled
    via singleton extension.
    * Old Hook API is no longer supported (new hook support is planned
    via singleton extension).
    * Can be run as a stand-alone executable, installed via 'gem install
    setup'.
    * But can still be used old-school style distributed with your
    project.
    * It no longer supports versions of Ruby older than v1.6.3.

    Though I am nearing release, before I do so it would be very helpful
    to find one or more persons with FHS expertise and preferably Cucumber
    experience that could spend a little time reviewing the code and
    buffing up the Cucumber features to ensure things are working properly
    and the system is robust enough for production use.

    The project can be found at: http://github.com/proutils/setup

    Thanks.
    Intransition, Dec 2, 2009