Setuptools - cannot install

tim.hamza

setuptools 2.0.2, win7 x64, python 3.3.3 (64bit), tried as user (who is admin, and as admin)

This started happening several versions ago. Could not track down a setuptools support list. Any ideas?

C:\Users\tim\Desktop\setuptools-2.0.2>python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 17, in <module>
exec(init_file.read(), command_ns)
File "<string>", line 8, in <module>
File "C:\Users\tim\Desktop\setuptools-2.0.2\setuptools\__init__.py", line 11, in <module>
from setuptools.extension import Extension
File "C:\Users\tim\Desktop\setuptools-2.0.2\setuptools\extension.py", line 5, in <module>
from setuptools.dist import _get_unpatched
File "C:\Users\tim\Desktop\setuptools-2.0.2\setuptools\dist.py", line 15, in <module>
from setuptools.compat import numeric_types, basestring
File "C:\Users\tim\Desktop\setuptools-2.0.2\setuptools\compat.py", line 49, in <module>
from http.server import HTTPServer, SimpleHTTPRequestHandler
File "C:\Python\lib\http\server.py", line 654, in <module>
class SimpleHTTPRequestHandler(BaseHTTPRequestHandler):
File "C:\Python\lib\http\server.py", line 839, in SimpleHTTPRequestHandler
mimetypes.init() # try to read system mime.types
File "C:\Python\lib\mimetypes.py", line 348, in init
db.read_windows_registry()
File "C:\Python\lib\mimetypes.py", line 255, in read_windows_registry
with _winreg.OpenKey(hkcr, subkeyname) as subkey:
TypeError: OpenKey() argument 2 must be str without null characters or None, not str

Chris Angelico

File "C:\Python\lib\mimetypes.py", line 255, in read_windows_registry
with _winreg.OpenKey(hkcr, subkeyname) as subkey:
TypeError: OpenKey() argument 2 must be str without null characters or None, not str

Interestingly, I pulled up that file on my 3.3.0 (Windows) and that
line is different. May be related to this issue, which was cited in
the commit summary that effected the change:

http://bugs.python.org/issue15207

In 3.3.0, it looks for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT plus subkey
r'MIME\Database\Content Type', but in 3.3.3 it's iterating over all
the subkeys in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. (Note that _winreg is simply the
winreg module or None if it couldn't be imported.) I wonder is it
possible you have a null character in a key?? It's worth a try.
key=winreg.EnumKey(hkcr,i)
if '\0' in key: print(repr(key))

If that throws a "No more data available" error without printing any
keys, then this isn't your problem.

Alternatively, you could hack C:\Python\lib\mimetypes.py to print out
subkeyname before attempting to open it. That would at least tell you
what the offending key is. My suspicion at the moment is that you may
have a corrupted registry, or else there's something that's possible
that the winreg module doesn't expect.

BTW, thanks for the first-line summary of version numbers. Much
appreciated! So many people don't give that.

ChrisA