setvbuf broken in Redhat9?

John Rowe

Under RedHat 9 the following simple program:

#! /usr/bin/perl
use FileHandle;
use strict 'vars';
my $mybuffer;

my $fh = new FileHandle ">flubber";

$fh->setvbuf($mybuffer, _IOLBF, 1000);
print $fh "Flubber\n";

Gives the result:
IO::Handle::setvbuf not implemented on this architecture at ./test line 8.

(It works under RH7.3.)

Google (Web+groups) seems to a few posters complaining about this a
year ago but no answers.. Is this really broken on such a major
platform? Is there anything I can do to work around this?

Thanks

John

Rafael Garcia-Suarez

John Rowe wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc :
Under RedHat 9 the following simple program:

#! /usr/bin/perl
use FileHandle;
use strict 'vars';
my $mybuffer;

my $fh = new FileHandle ">flubber";

$fh->setvbuf($mybuffer, _IOLBF, 1000);
print $fh "Flubber\n";

Gives the result:
IO::Handle::setvbuf not implemented on this architecture at ./test line 8.

perl 5.8.0 or later uses (by default) the PerlIO I/O layer instead of
plain raw stdio. For this abstraction layer setvbuf makes no sense.
However this fact was only documented the IO::Handle manpage in perl 5.8.1.