Several entries on Tile and TableList at the Tkinter wiki

Kevin Walzer

I'm not sure how often members of this list visit the Tkinter wiki at
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/FrontPage; this wiki seems to have
less traffic in general than the Tcl/Tk wiki at http://wiki.tcl.tk.
Given that, I hope it's not out of line for me to call attention to
several pages that I've posted about integrating Tile
(http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile) and TableList
(http://www.nemethi.de, http://wiki.tcl.tk/5527) into Tkinter
applications. I've noted a serious lack of resources/documentation about
these two powerful Tk components. In addition to some documentation,
screenshots, and sample applications, I've posted updated versions of
the original TableList and Tile wrappers by Martin Franklin.

I should take this moment to thank Mr. Franklin for his work on these
wrappers; whatever I added to them was pretty minimal compared to the
heavy lifting he did. He originally posted them on the Internet last
year, but the site that hosted them has gone dark. Anyway, Mr. Franklin,
if you are reading this, thank you for your hard work; it has been
enormously helpful. I hope my own efforts extend your work and make it
even more useful for other Tkinter developers.

Here are the links:

http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/UsingTile
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TileWrapper
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListWrapper
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/TableListTileWrapper
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/PyLocateTile
http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/PyLocate

Hope these prove useful to others, as starting points for your own work
if nothing else. Corrections and improvements are of course invited;
it's a wiki!

jim-on-linux

Thanks for posting this entry,

The fact that a wiki or help site doesn't get a
lot of traffic is not an necessarily an indicator
of it's usfulness. It indicates to me that the
product, in this case Tkinter, may be easy to use
and understand, after working with it a little, A
lot of help may not be necessary.

A good example is the py2exe help site.
At one time not to long ago there might be 8 to 12
post per day, or more. Today by my unscientific
count method, I don't think there are more than 3
to 4 post per week. Yet, py2exe and Tkinter is
almost as valuable as Python. If we couldn't
build programs for Windows, where would a python
programmes's money come from?

Thanks again,

jim-on-linux
http://www.inqvista.com