several responses from same webservice?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Davey, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. Davey

    Davey Guest

    hi there
    Im new to webservices and I think they can help solve a communication
    problem.
    We are designing a system that will have a core server type
    application and several client applications.
    The core application will have a webserver bolted on so all the client
    apps can communicate with it.
    Each of the client apps will only ever use one of the webservices
    available.

    Once a request is made to the webservice, there may be several
    This is because the client is doing reports on the information from
    the server app.
    The server app cannot do the reports.
    The client app is also responsible for ending the communication,once
    it has satisfied all its criteria.

    So my questions are:
    Can I have an application connect to a webservice and recieve several
    Can I send a cancel request after the webservice has provided enough
    information?
    Should we use webservices?

    The main reason we want to use webservices is that we have some older
    apps in c++ that we want to integrate with the new ones.
    :)

    Any help would be great
    Thanks
    Dave
    Davey, Oct 26, 2004

  2. Davey

    Trebek Guest

    Dave,

    I would say this is a better candidate for remoting vs a webservice. Web
    services really don't offer much with regard to 'persistent' connections
    since it really is simple http request/response under the soap covers. You
    usually have to establish some sort of polling architecture if you want to
    drive things from the client. You can always host your remote object in
    IIS. It's very simple and would offer you much of the same web service
    benefits.

    Alex

    Trebek, Oct 26, 2004

  3. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Hi Alex,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes,I wasnt sure if web services were built for
    that kind of scenario. I'll look into remoting. Thanks again.
    Dave

    Davey, Oct 27, 2004
  4. there is a WS-Eventing spec that covers this model of communication, but it
    is just a spec, not implemented and available in the framework yet.

    the downside with the use of remoting is that it is a non-standard model.

    since your client "waits for responses" from the server anyway, there are
    two approaches worth exploring: one is the polling mechanism. when the
    client wants more data, it should just ask, "any more for me?" and the
    server can hand it over.

    else, the client itself can expose a webservice interface, and the server
    can call it back. there are examples of this, using cassini. the client
    and server then act more as peers. both can initiate the dialog.

    Dino Chiesa [Microsoft], Oct 27, 2004
  5. Davey

    Davey Guest

    Hi Dino,
    yes, the polling approach would work for the reporting alright.
    The idea of having both apps with a webservice could also be an good
    enough solution (although it might be a bit longwinded). I think it
    might be wasteful for the server app to connect to the client
    webservice and send data for every event.

    So I was thinking something like this might be better.
    1 - A client uses a webservice to notify the server app that it wants
    START to do reports on events coming into the server. The server app
    responds stating that it is in report mode.
    2 - The server then collects information on incoming events
    3 - Then every minute (if there are any events) it connects to the
    clients webservice and passes this information to it.
    4 - At any stage the client app can call the servers webservice to
    STOP sending events.

    Remoting sounds good aswell but i've only started reading about it.
    Think I need to read more about both technologies!

    Thanks guys, Its good to know we have a few options.
    :)
    Dave

    Davey, Oct 28, 2004