Sevices get stopped unexpectedly

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Jan 5, 2004.

  1. Do you get any events in the event log? Like Event ID 5, or Event ID 36?

    --
    Aaron Bertrand
    SQL Server MVP

    "Niel" <> wrote in message
    > Hello friends,
    > I am not sure if i am posting to the correct group but if anyone has an
    > idea about this and the possible solution or the link to that solution

    then
    > please let me know
    > We have out website running on Windows 2000 - IIS 5.0. Everything was
    > working fine but since last few days my IIS Services get stopped
    > unexpectedly.
    > When i check in even viewer i see the message saying
    >
    > a) "The World Wide Web Service got terminated unexpectedly. It has been

    done
    > __ time(s)"
    > b) "The ISIS Admin Service got terminated unexpectedly. It has been done

    __
    > time(s)"
    > c) "The Simple Mail Transport Protocol got terminated unexpectedly. It

    has
    > been done __ time(s)"
    >
    > After i restart those services again, everything starts working fine. But
    > then again in a day or two its stops unexpectedly.
    > I have read about this at number of place. At few places it says that the
    > computer is infected with the code Red worm.
    > I installed the patch for Code Red II from the microsoft website last

    week
    > and after installing i restarted the computer. For 3-4 days i had no

    problem
    > so i thought that the issue was resolved and that the worm must be causing
    > the problems, but again today the services were stopped.
    >
    > Can anyone give me an idea about what wrong is going on and what should i

    do

    Niel, Jan 5, 2004

  3. Aaron Bertrand - MVP

    Niel Guest

    Yes I hope I have cleaned the virus,
    I again download both the patches Code Red Worm patch and Code Red Worm II
    patch.
    I couldn't install the first patch as it said that I already had a higher
    version of service pack and so the patch won't run.
    Howerver I could install and run the 2nd patch i.e Code Red Worm II patch
    and have restrated it again.
    After I restrarted a text file was created on desktop which is as follows

    -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Cleaning up Code Red Worm

    If the system was internet-exposed, you should re-install system

    To disable IIS, invoke with -disable option

    This application does NOT apply the patch

    See
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
    bulletin/MS01-033.asp

    Shutting down IIS

    IIS Service stopped

    Removing files created by worm

    No files left by worm found

    Removing virtual roots from the registry that may have been left by worm

    This does not unmap virtual roots from the IIS metabase

    /Scripts removed

    /msadc removed

    System File protection enabled

    IIS Service could not be restarted

    Metabase successfully backed up to CodeRedCleanup_Backup

    Searching for virtual roots left by the worm in IIS

    Cannot get access permissions for /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/PBSData/ - err = 51201

    No virtual roots left by worm found

    -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I guess this pretty much explains that now all the files (if any) created by
    worm have been removed.
    If not then tell if there is still some problem and what next should I do.

    Thanks

    "Mike Florio" <> wrote in message
    > Did you clean the virus from the server ? The MS patch will only insure

    you

    Niel, Jan 5, 2004
  4. Aaron Bertrand - MVP

    Niel Guest

    The event id that i get i "7031" and event type is "Error" while event
    category is "None"

    Niel, Jan 5, 2004