Sevices get stopped unexpectedly

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Do you get any events in the event log? Like Event ID 5, or Event ID 36?

Niel

Hello friends,
I am not sure if i am posting to the correct group but if anyone has an
idea about this and the possible solution or the link to that solution then
please let me know
We have out website running on Windows 2000 - IIS 5.0. Everything was
working fine but since last few days my IIS Services get stopped
unexpectedly.
When i check in even viewer i see the message saying

a) "The World Wide Web Service got terminated unexpectedly. It has been done
__ time(s)"
b) "The ISIS Admin Service got terminated unexpectedly. It has been done __
time(s)"
c) "The Simple Mail Transport Protocol got terminated unexpectedly. It has
been done __ time(s)"

After i restart those services again, everything starts working fine. But
then again in a day or two its stops unexpectedly.
I have read about this at number of place. At few places it says that the
computer is infected with the code Red worm.
I installed the patch for Code Red II from the microsoft website last week
and after installing i restarted the computer. For 3-4 days i had no problem
so i thought that the issue was resolved and that the worm must be causing
the problems, but again today the services were stopped.

Can anyone give me an idea about what wrong is going on and what should i do
to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Niel

Yes I hope I have cleaned the virus,
I again download both the patches Code Red Worm patch and Code Red Worm II
patch.
I couldn't install the first patch as it said that I already had a higher
version of service pack and so the patch won't run.
Howerver I could install and run the 2nd patch i.e Code Red Worm II patch
and have restrated it again.
After I restrarted a text file was created on desktop which is as follows

-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cleaning up Code Red Worm

If the system was internet-exposed, you should re-install system

To disable IIS, invoke with -disable option

This application does NOT apply the patch

See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/
bulletin/MS01-033.asp

Shutting down IIS

IIS Service stopped

Removing files created by worm

No files left by worm found

Removing virtual roots from the registry that may have been left by worm

This does not unmap virtual roots from the IIS metabase

/Scripts removed

/msadc removed

System File protection enabled

IIS Service could not be restarted

Metabase successfully backed up to CodeRedCleanup_Backup

Searching for virtual roots left by the worm in IIS

Cannot get access permissions for /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/PBSData/ - err = 51201

No virtual roots left by worm found

I guess this pretty much explains that now all the files (if any) created by
worm have been removed.
If not then tell if there is still some problem and what next should I do.

Thanks

Niel

The event id that i get i "7031" and event type is "Error" while event
category is "None"