sgi lib

The Minh -- Huu Minh

I run into a little problem with sgi, which my downloaded Dev's gnu
can't link and compile the program
I use an example available in the documentation and it emits 46 errors
(most of which are redefined ones existng in both include directory of
current compiler and the downloaded lib), I already include
link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path though.

Thanks for any help

Peckero

The said:
...I already include
link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path though.

That compiler option is MS-specific, I use boost most of the time since
it has more functionalities

mlimber

The said:
I run into a little problem with sgi, which my downloaded Dev's gnu
can't link and compile the program
I use an example available in the documentation and it emits 46 errors
(most of which are redefined ones existng in both include directory of
current compiler and the downloaded lib), I already include
link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path though.

By "sgi lib" I presume you mean SGI's STL implementation. Are you sure
it's not STLport?

Post the code that doesn't work along with the first few error
messages. See this FAQ on asking questions about code that doesn't
work:

http://parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8

Cheers! --M

Lionel B

I run into a little problem with sgi, which my downloaded Dev's gnu
can't link and compile the program
I use an example available in the documentation and it emits 46 errors
(most of which are redefined ones existng in both include directory of
current compiler and the downloaded lib),

Assuming you are talking about the SGI implementation of STL, it sounds
like your compiler may be finding both the SGI and the compiler's own STL
headers (I'm guessing, since you post no code) - hence the redefinitions.
If this is the case then this is strictly speaking a
compiler/OS/third-party library issue (header/library search paths are not
part of the C++ standard) rather than a C++ language issue and therefore
off-topic here. However...
I already include link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path
though.

Firstly I doubt that /I specifies a link search path (that's probably got
an 'L' in it), more likely a header search path. Note that with most
compilers (gcc in your case?) telling it to search for headers (and also
libraries) on some additional paths probably won't *stop* it from also
searching its system paths, and therefore in your case picking up the
compiler-supplied STL headers/libs. You will have to check your compiler
and possibly the SGI library documentation - or ask on one of their forums
- to find out how to avoid this happening; it is not a C++ language issue.

If, on the other hand, you think it really *is* a C++ language issue, then
you will have to post some code + error messages to get help here.

Good luck,