    current compiler and the downloaded lib), I already include
    link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path though.

    Thanks for any help

    The Minh -- Huu Minh, Jan 15, 2007

  2. The Minh -- Huu Minh

    Peckero Guest

    The Minh -- Huu Minh wrote:
    >...I already include
    > link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path though.

    That compiler option is MS-specific, I use boost most of the time since
    it has more functionalities

    Peckero, Jan 15, 2007

  3. The Minh -- Huu Minh

    mlimber Guest

    The Minh -- Huu Minh wrote:
    > I run into a little problem with sgi, which my downloaded Dev's gnu
    > can't link and compile the program
    > I use an example available in the documentation and it emits 46 errors
    > (most of which are redefined ones existng in both include directory of
    > current compiler and the downloaded lib), I already include
    > link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path though.

    By "sgi lib" I presume you mean SGI's STL implementation. Are you sure
    it's not STLport?

    Post the code that doesn't work along with the first few error
    messages. See this FAQ on asking questions about code that doesn't
    work:

    http://parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.8

    Cheers! --M

    mlimber, Jan 15, 2007
  4. The Minh -- Huu Minh

    Lionel B Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:47:54 -0800, The Minh -- Huu Minh wrote:

    > I run into a little problem with sgi, which my downloaded Dev's gnu
    > can't link and compile the program
    > I use an example available in the documentation and it emits 46 errors
    > (most of which are redefined ones existng in both include directory of
    > current compiler and the downloaded lib),

    Assuming you are talking about the SGI implementation of STL, it sounds
    like your compiler may be finding both the SGI and the compiler's own STL
    headers (I'm guessing, since you post no code) - hence the redefinitions.
    If this is the case then this is strictly speaking a
    compiler/OS/third-party library issue (header/library search paths are not
    part of the C++ standard) rather than a C++ language issue and therefore
    off-topic here. However...

    > I already include link-directory /I option for sgi as an absolute path
    > though.

    Firstly I doubt that /I specifies a link search path (that's probably got
    an 'L' in it), more likely a header search path. Note that with most
    compilers (gcc in your case?) telling it to search for headers (and also
    libraries) on some additional paths probably won't *stop* it from also
    searching its system paths, and therefore in your case picking up the
    compiler-supplied STL headers/libs. You will have to check your compiler
    and possibly the SGI library documentation - or ask on one of their forums
    - to find out how to avoid this happening; it is not a C++ language issue.

    If, on the other hand, you think it really *is* a C++ language issue, then
    you will have to post some code + error messages to get help here.

    Good luck,

    --
    Lionel B

    Lionel B, Jan 15, 2007