sgi rope experiences?

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F6ren?=

Hi,

I'm curious about the SGI/Stlport rope class, in some weakly-related ways:

- Has anyone use it and got some specific impressions of usability
and performance (beyond what's in docs and the strings-impl comparison
paper by Petr Ovchenkov)? tips & tricks, or literature?

- rope looks great for storing my large strings, but I'd like to
associate data with some positions in the string (eg like pretty-formatting
tags for keywords in a syntax-coloration, or tag markers for html text etc).
Is there some good way I could have this handled by the rope, rather
than storing in a separate position map (eg hash_map< pos_type, my_infostruct>)
which I'd then have to synch manually on updates to the rope.
I guess I could have a map of <rope-iterators, my_infostruct>, but rope
iterators are documented as expensive, and may be invalidated.
Any thoughts?

- On a tangent from the second question, would a rope be a good container
for eg movie frames (of an AVI or quicktime file)? - or is there some other
common type of container better suited?
I guess since rope doesn't handle variable-size objects,
it would store pointers, and might end up not being more useful than,
say, list< my_movieframe* > ?

Thanks,

homsan

RomeoFarnh