sha, PyCrypto, SHA-256

mirandacascade

Operating system: Win XP
Vsn of Python: 2.4

Situation is this: Required to calcluate a message digest. The process
for calcluating the digest must use an SHA-256 algorithm.

Questions:
1) Is it correct that the sha module comes with python 2.4?
2) Is it correct that the sha module that ships with python 2.4 does
NOT have the SHA-256 capability as part of the module?
3) It looks like PyCrypto is a package that, among other things,
permits one to calculate a message digest using an SHA-256
algorithm...is that correct?
4) It looks like there are a couple couple possibilities available for
the download...either download the source code and run the setup which
(I'm assuming) compiles the various extension modules, or download the
pycrypto-2.0.1.win32-py2.4.zip which extracts out to a .exe; when one
runs the just-extracted .exe, it installs the stuff on one's
workstation. I'm leaning toward the second option because it seems
like most of the work has been done for me. A quick search on this
site didn't turn up anything that suggested there were problems with
running the installer. So, my question is this: are you aware of any
problems running the installer?
5) Besides PyCrypto, are there any other Python packages that permit
one to calculate a message digest using an SHA-256 algorithm?

Thank you.

Dennis Benzinger

Am 16 Dec 2006 11:17:19 -0800
schrieb (e-mail address removed):
[...]

Python 2.5 comes with SHA-256 in the hashlib module.
So you could install Python 2.5 instead of the PyCrypto module.

Dennis

Klaas

Dennis said:
Python 2.5 comes with SHA-256 in the hashlib module.
So you could install Python 2.5 instead of the PyCrypto module.

You can download the python2.5 hashlib module for use with python2.4

-MIke

Tim Henderson

[...]

I have run that exact installer many many times and it works fine. to
use SHA-256 with pycrypto:
'ab530a13e45914982b79f9b7e3fba994cfd1f3fb22f71cea1afbf02b460c6d1d'

cheers
tim