Shadow Copy a text resource file along with an assembly

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kevin Frey, Oct 20, 2005.

  1. Kevin Frey

    Kevin Frey Guest

    I am relatively new to ASP.NET development.

    We have built an assembly in C++ (mixed mode) that will be used by our
    ASP.NET application. The assembly can also be used outside of ASP.NEt.

    Resource-type information required by this assembly is included in two
    separate files, that the assembly reads at initialisation time. These files
    are presently named with the same base name as the DLL, and different
    extensions.

    On initialisation, the assembly uses the filename of the DLL to determine
    the name of its associated resource files.

    My problem is that under ASP.NET, our resource DLL is shadow-copied to
    another location under "Temporary ASP.NET Files", yet the associated files
    are not copied and hence the DLL cannot initialise itself.

    The major reason for having separate files for these resources (they contain
    text strings) versus a compiled-in resource is that the file can be easily
    edited to make changes on-the-fly to these strings. The changes might even
    be made by a client so it is impractical to compile them into the assembly
    as a resource.

    The easiest solution would be to somehow direct ASP.NET that these files
    must be copied when the assembly is shadow-copied. Is this possible?

    I'll accept any potential solutions at this stage...

    Thanks

    Kevin
    Kevin Frey, Oct 20, 2005