Shadow right border? background-repeat with DIV?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jc, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. jc

    jc Guest

    Hello.

    I'm trying integrate a new website's look and feel with an old website
    who's sources and servers we don't have access to. I'm pretty close,
    but there are some details I still need. Namely, the shadowing under
    the menus and to the right the usuable work space on the page.

    I have two images they used for shadowing. One is used for horizontal
    shadowing under a menu control and the other vertically on the right
    of usable space.

    Those images are bg_top_shadow.gif and bg_right_showdow.gif.

    When I do a view source of the old sites page, clearly I can't see all
    the css information, but do see one of the rendered shadows is done
    under a table as follows:

    <TD style="BACKGROUND-IMAGE: url(UofM_Images\shadow.gif); WIDTH: 2%;
    BACKGROUND-REPEAT: repeat" valign="top" align="left" height="100%"
    rowspan="3"></TD>

    My problem is I don't want to use a tables to lay out my masterpage
    (asp.net).

    Can I accomplish the same effect with DIV and SPAN?

    Currently my page header is just DIV of a given dimension. Say I want
    to repeat the top shadow image below it.

    Thank you for any help or information!
    jc, Mar 19, 2008

  2. jc

    Bergamot Guest

    jc wrote:

    > I'm trying integrate a new website's look and feel with an old website
    > who's sources and servers we don't have access to.
    >
    > When I do a view source of the old sites page, clearly I can't see all
    > the css information

    The CSS may not be embedded in the HTML, but if you can do a View Source
    you certainly can see the CSS, too. The easy way is to use the Web
    Developer extension in Firefox. CTRL+SHIFT+C and all the CSS will be
    shown in a new tab.

    Saving the rendered page as "web page complete" may do, as well, though
    it won't save graphics or other files that are only referenced in CSS or
    JavaScript.

    > Can I accomplish the same effect with DIV and SPAN?

    I see yet another design suffering from div-itis on the horizon. :(

    Your code snippets are insufficient to give you proper guidance, but
    there is always more than one way to accomplish whatever your goal is.

    Post a URL showing your attempt.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Mar 19, 2008