    use page-zone.com for my domain hosting.

    Thanks!
    , Oct 25, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > Hi group -
    >
    > I have a client who wants to share content between two separate domain
    > names.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that not *all* of the content will be shared
    > - and different skins will need to be applied as well.
    >
    > He wants to be able to write content in a CMS such as Mambo, and decide
    > to choose to publish to both domains or one domain.
    >
    > Is this clear ? Is there any one out there that can point me in the
    > right direction ?
    >
    > Obvioulsy both domains would be hosting at the same server - I usually
    > use page-zone.com for my domain hosting.
    >
    > Thanks!

    If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
    access a common database from the 2 different domains.
    If this is the case, package up the sites to suit and access / display
    the the common data.

    Richard Grove
    www.redeyemedia.co.uk
    www.shopmaker.co.uk
    Richard Grove, Oct 26, 2005

  3. Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
    From the safety of the cafeteria
    Richard Grove <> said:

    > wrote:

    >> I have a client who wants to share content between two separate domain
    >> names.

    > If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
    > access a common database from the 2 different domains.

    yes - that would be my prefered solution too. That may (or may not) be
    doable on a shared hosting platform. A trip to tech support should
    provide the answer.

    --
    William Tasso

    virtue is its own punishment
    William Tasso, Oct 26, 2005
  4. Heidi Guest

    Richard Grove wrote:
    : If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
    : access a common database from the 2 different domains.
    : If this is the case, package up the sites to suit and access / display
    : the the common data.

    Interesting. I never thought of this before.
    How would someone do that though?
    Heidi, Oct 26, 2005
  5. Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
    From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
    cafeteria
    Heidi <> said:

    > Richard Grove wrote:
    > : If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
    > : access a common database from the 2 different domains.
    > : If this is the case, package up the sites to suit and access / display
    > : the the common data.
    >
    > Interesting. I never thought of this before.
    > How would someone do that though?

    Which bit is puzzling?

    You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
    credentials (if applicable).

    As I said before, this may (oe may not) be possible on a shared hosting
    account - best check with tech support.

    William Tasso, Oct 26, 2005
  6. Jim Guest

    "William Tasso" <> wrote in message
    > Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
    > From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
    > cafeteria
    > Heidi <> said:
    >
    >> Richard Grove wrote:
    >> : If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
    >> : access a common database from the 2 different domains.
    >> : If this is the case, package up the sites to suit and access / display
    >> : the the common data.
    >>
    >> Interesting. I never thought of this before.
    >> How would someone do that though?

    > Which bit is puzzling?
    >
    > You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
    > credentials (if applicable).
    >
    > As I said before, this may (oe may not) be possible on a shared hosting
    > account - best check with tech support.

    Its possible on ours. I've been answering that question from customers for
    years. It's even possible if the sites are on different servers, but that
    requires the database host server to allow access to the remote host. Easily
    done through cpanel or call your host. As long as the script is set up with
    the host (localhost or IP) named in the config file and the database user,
    and password is what is needed to get access to the database.
    Jim, Oct 27, 2005
  7. Heidi Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    : Which bit is puzzling?
    :
    : You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
    : credentials (if applicable).

    well maybe I have been out of the loop a bit long dealing with other
    issues...
    I just fail to see how domain1 has the database and domain2 accesses it.

    I am tired and I need a vacation =)

    Heidi
    Heidi, Oct 28, 2005
  8. Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
    From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
    cafeteria
    Heidi <> said:

    > William Tasso wrote:
    > : Which bit is puzzling?
    > :
    > : You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
    > : credentials (if applicable).
    >
    > well maybe I have been out of the loop a bit long dealing with other
    > issues...
    > I just fail to see how domain1 has the database and domain2 accesses it.

    well, think about what you need to access a db engine. set up a db from
    each of two domains

    the only info that differs will be in the connection
    string/routine/function/whatever

    o db-name
    o db-user
    o db-password

    simply substitute the values from one domain into the connection thingie
    on the other.

    > I am tired and I need a vacation =)

    oooh - a sleepy Heidi, those eyes - I'm drowning in thos..........

    William Tasso, Oct 28, 2005
  9. trevor Guest

    > Its possible on ours. I've been answering that question from customers
    > for years. It's even possible if the sites are on different servers,
    > but that requires the database host server to allow access to the
    > remote host. Easily done through cpanel or call your host. As long as
    > the script is set up with the host (localhost or IP) named in the
    > config file and the database user, and password is what is needed to
    > get access to the database.

    agreed. on the microsoft side it's just using one ODBC DSN as opposed to
    another. problems may occur at the firewall level which the host would be
    able to permit. a more effective technique would be simple mirroring of a
    database at one ISP onto the other. as long as it's just content and not
    transactional data, this is easy. if you have transactions distributed
    across servers you need a clustering solution.
    trevor, Oct 28, 2005
  10. Heidi Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    : well, think about what you need to access a db engine. set up a db
    : from each of two domains

    Cool I did it and it worked. that was interesting. It didn't work out quite
    like I wanted so here is the new question.
    Is there a way to pull only a specific bit of content from one database on
    one domain to a site on another domain but
    same server?

    : oooh - a sleepy Heidi, those eyes - I'm drowning in thos..........

    *blush*
    Heidi, Oct 29, 2005
  11. Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
    From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
    cafeteria
    Heidi <> said:

    > William Tasso wrote:
    > : well, think about what you need to access a db engine. set up a db
    > : from each of two domains
    >
    > Cool I did it and it worked.

    Yee haa :)

    > Is there a way to pull only a specific bit of content from one database
    > on
    > one domain to a site on another domain but
    > same server?

    sure there is, but this is now data dependent.

    suppose you have a message-board on site#1 - this app shows all the
    messages in the usual manner. Now let's suppose you want to make a list
    of 'new' items (threads?) on Site#2 ... your SQL would look similar to:

    SELECT *
    FROM tblThreads
    WHERE tblThreads.Date = today

    Hope I understood the question.