Shared content - 2 domains

david.hunter

Hi group -

I have a client who wants to share content between two separate domain
names.

The problem I am having is that not *all* of the content will be shared
- and different skins will need to be applied as well.

He wants to be able to write content in a CMS such as Mambo, and decide
to choose to publish to both domains or one domain.

Is this clear ? Is there any one out there that can point me in the
right direction ?

Obvioulsy both domains would be hosting at the same server - I usually
use page-zone.com for my domain hosting.

Thanks!

Richard Grove

Hi group -

I have a client who wants to share content between two separate domain
names.

The problem I am having is that not *all* of the content will be shared
- and different skins will need to be applied as well.

He wants to be able to write content in a CMS such as Mambo, and decide
to choose to publish to both domains or one domain.

Is this clear ? Is there any one out there that can point me in the
right direction ?

Obvioulsy both domains would be hosting at the same server - I usually
use page-zone.com for my domain hosting.

Thanks!

If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
access a common database from the 2 different domains.
If this is the case, package up the sites to suit and access / display
the the common data.

Richard Grove
www.redeyemedia.co.uk
www.shopmaker.co.uk

William Tasso

Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
From the safety of the cafeteria
Richard Grove said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:

If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
access a common database from the 2 different domains.

yes - that would be my prefered solution too. That may (or may not) be
doable on a shared hosting platform. A trip to tech support should
provide the answer.

Heidi

Richard Grove wrote:
: If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
: access a common database from the 2 different domains.
: If this is the case, package up the sites to suit and access / display
: the the common data.

Interesting. I never thought of this before.
How would someone do that though?

William Tasso

Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
cafeteria
Heidi said:
Richard Grove wrote:
: If both domains are hosted on tyhe same server, you may be able to
: access a common database from the 2 different domains.
: If this is the case, package up the sites to suit and access / display
: the the common data.

Interesting. I never thought of this before.
How would someone do that though?

Which bit is puzzling?

You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
credentials (if applicable).

As I said before, this may (oe may not) be possible on a shared hosting
account - best check with tech support.

Jim

William Tasso said:
Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
cafeteria

Which bit is puzzling?

You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
credentials (if applicable).

As I said before, this may (oe may not) be possible on a shared hosting
account - best check with tech support.

Its possible on ours. I've been answering that question from customers for
years. It's even possible if the sites are on different servers, but that
requires the database host server to allow access to the remote host. Easily
done through cpanel or call your host. As long as the script is set up with
the host (localhost or IP) named in the config file and the database user,
and password is what is needed to get access to the database.

Heidi

William Tasso wrote:
: Which bit is puzzling?
:
: You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
: credentials (if applicable).

well maybe I have been out of the loop a bit long dealing with other
issues...
I just fail to see how domain1 has the database and domain2 accesses it.

I am tired and I need a vacation =)

Heidi

William Tasso

Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
cafeteria
Heidi said:
William Tasso wrote:
: Which bit is puzzling?
:
: You would need to use the same data store and therefore the same
: credentials (if applicable).

well maybe I have been out of the loop a bit long dealing with other
issues...
I just fail to see how domain1 has the database and domain2 accesses it.

well, think about what you need to access a db engine. set up a db from
each of two domains

the only info that differs will be in the connection
string/routine/function/whatever

o db-name
o db-user
o db-password

simply substitute the values from one domain into the connection thingie
on the other.
I am tired and I need a vacation =)

oooh - a sleepy Heidi, those eyes - I'm drowning in thos..........

trevor

Its possible on ours. I've been answering that question from customers
for years. It's even possible if the sites are on different servers,
but that requires the database host server to allow access to the
remote host. Easily done through cpanel or call your host. As long as
the script is set up with the host (localhost or IP) named in the
config file and the database user, and password is what is needed to
get access to the database.

agreed. on the microsoft side it's just using one ODBC DSN as opposed to
another. problems may occur at the firewall level which the host would be
able to permit. a more effective technique would be simple mirroring of a
database at one ISP onto the other. as long as it's just content and not
transactional data, this is easy. if you have transactions distributed
across servers you need a clustering solution.

Heidi

William Tasso wrote:
: well, think about what you need to access a db engine. set up a db
: from each of two domains

Cool I did it and it worked. that was interesting. It didn't work out quite
like I wanted so here is the new question.
Is there a way to pull only a specific bit of content from one database on
one domain to a site on another domain but
same server?

: oooh - a sleepy Heidi, those eyes - I'm drowning in thos..........

*blush*

William Tasso

Writing in news:alt.www.webmaster,alt.html
From the safety of the Road Runner High Speed Online http://www.rr.com
cafeteria
Heidi said:
William Tasso wrote:
: well, think about what you need to access a db engine. set up a db
: from each of two domains

Cool I did it and it worked.

Yee haa :)
Is there a way to pull only a specific bit of content from one database
on
one domain to a site on another domain but
same server?

sure there is, but this is now data dependent.

suppose you have a message-board on site#1 - this app shows all the
messages in the usual manner. Now let's suppose you want to make a list
of 'new' items (threads?) on Site#2 ... your SQL would look similar to:

SELECT *
FROM tblThreads
WHERE tblThreads.Date = today

Hope I understood the question.