Shared development with Eclipse / NetBeans

DBoy001

Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
ways to have two persons work on a same project.

With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
(thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.

I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
on a shared drive.

This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
be screwing what I defined.

So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!

PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
it works for both...

Manish Pandit

Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
ways to have two persons work on a same project.

With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
(thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.

I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
on a shared drive.

This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
be screwing what I defined.

So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!

PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
it works for both...

What you need is a version control system like CVS or SVN (or Visual
Source Safe if you have an MSDN license). The shared drive should work
if you use drive mapping instead of the long name or IP address IMO.
However, given this situation, I'd seriously recommend installing a
version control system and working off of it.

-cheers,
Manish

Daniel Dyer

What you need is a version control system like CVS or SVN

I second this recommendation. There are plenty of good version control
systems. Subversion (SVN) is probably the mostly widely used these days
and is generally preferable to CVS.
(or Visual Source Safe if you have an MSDN license)

As I said, there are plenty of good version control systems... but Source
Safe is not one of them. It is seriously defective in many ways. Given
that superior alternatives are freely available, I'm amazed that anyone
still uses it.

Dan.

Richard Reynolds

DBoy001 said:
Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
ways to have two persons work on a same project.

With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
(thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.

I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
on a shared drive.

This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
be screwing what I defined.

So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!

PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
it works for both...
cvs integrates nicely with eclipse and is very easy to use, don't know about
netbeans/svn