Shared development with Eclipse / NetBeans

Discussion in 'Java' started by DBoy001, Oct 18, 2007.

  1. DBoy001

    DBoy001 Guest

    Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
    ways to have two persons work on a same project.

    With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
    this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
    (thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.

    I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
    on a shared drive.

    This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
    project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
    be screwing what I defined.

    So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
    practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!

    PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
    it works for both...

    DBoy001, Oct 18, 2007

  2. On Oct 18, 1:23 pm, DBoy001 <> wrote:
    > Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
    > ways to have two persons work on a same project.
    >
    > With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
    > this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
    > (thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.
    >
    > I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
    > on a shared drive.
    >
    > This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
    > project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
    > be screwing what I defined.
    >
    > So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
    > practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!
    >
    > PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
    > it works for both...

    What you need is a version control system like CVS or SVN (or Visual
    Source Safe if you have an MSDN license). The shared drive should work
    if you use drive mapping instead of the long name or IP address IMO.
    However, given this situation, I'd seriously recommend installing a
    version control system and working off of it.

    -cheers,
    Manish

    Manish Pandit, Oct 18, 2007

  3. DBoy001

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:37:17 +0100, Manish Pandit
    <> wrote:

    > On Oct 18, 1:23 pm, DBoy001 <> wrote:
    >> Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
    >> ways to have two persons work on a same project.
    >>
    >> With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
    >> this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
    >> (thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.
    >>
    >> I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
    >> on a shared drive.
    >>
    >> This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
    >> project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
    >> be screwing what I defined.
    >>
    >> So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
    >> practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!
    >>
    >> PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
    >> it works for both...

    > What you need is a version control system like CVS or SVN

    I second this recommendation. There are plenty of good version control
    systems. Subversion (SVN) is probably the mostly widely used these days
    and is generally preferable to CVS.

    > (or Visual Source Safe if you have an MSDN license)

    As I said, there are plenty of good version control systems... but Source
    Safe is not one of them. It is seriously defective in many ways. Given
    that superior alternatives are freely available, I'm amazed that anyone
    still uses it.

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http//www.uncommons.org

    Daniel Dyer, Oct 18, 2007
  4. "DBoy001" <> wrote in message
    > Hi! I am relatively new to Java development and I am searching for
    > ways to have two persons work on a same project.
    >
    > With a project located on a network drive, can two persons work on
    > this project at the same time or do they have to create a local copy
    > (thus, duplicating) of what they are working on.
    >
    > I saw that with Eclipse, it seams impossible to use the same workspace
    > on a shared drive.
    >
    > This appear to be a problem with NetBeans too, I added libraries to a
    > project, my colleague did the same on his computer and that seams to
    > be screwing what I defined.
    >
    > So... are we not doing it right? Are there tools available, best
    > practices, I don't know? Heeellllpppp !!!!
    >
    > PS: I have a preference for NetBean but I am interested in knowing how
    > it works for both...

    cvs integrates nicely with eclipse and is very easy to use, don't know about
    netbeans/svn

    Richard Reynolds, Oct 18, 2007