Shared functions vs Non-Shared Functions

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tshad, May 26, 2005.

  1. tshad

    tshad Guest

    I am setting up some of my functions in a class called MyFunctions.

    I am not clear as to the best time to set a function as Shared and when not
    to. For example, I have the following bit manipulation routines in my
    Class:

    imports System

    NameSpace MyFunctions

    Public Class BitHandling

    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    '* Name : BitSet *
    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    '* Purpose : Sets a given Bit in Number *
    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    Public Shared Function BitSet(Number As Integer, _
    ByVal Bit As Integer) As Long
    If Bit = 31 Then
    Number = &H80000000 Or Number
    Else
    Number = (2 ^ Bit) Or Number
    End If
    BitSet = Number
    End Function

    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    '* Name : BitClear *
    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    '* Purpose : Clears a given Bit in Number *
    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    Public Shared Function BitClear(Number As Integer, _
    ByVal Bit As Integer) As Long
    If Bit = 31 Then
    Number = &H7FFFFFFF And Number
    Else
    Number = ((2 ^ Bit) Xor &HFFFFFFFF) And Number
    End If

    BitClear = Number
    End Function

    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    '* Name : BitIsSet *
    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    '* Purpose : Test if bit 0 to bit 31 is set *
    '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    Public Shared Function BitIsSet(ByVal Number As Integer, _
    ByVal Bit As Integer) As Boolean
    BitIsSet = False

    If Bit = 31 Then
    If Number And &H80000000 Then BitIsSet = True
    Else
    If Number And (2 ^ Bit) Then BitIsSet = True
    End If
    End Function

    End Class

    End Namespace

    Now I have these set up as shared so I don't have to create an instance of
    the class:

    temp = BitHandling.BitSet(temp,3)

    vs.

    dim MyBits as new BitHandling
    temp = MyBits.BitSet(temp,3)

    I am also setting up my function to send out various emails which entails
    reading an Sql Record and reading a text file from disk, as well as sending
    the email:

    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    smtpMail.Send(message)

    What would tell me that I need to make this a non-shared function vs a
    shared one?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, May 26, 2005

  2. tshad

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Tom:
    Is the function manipulating instance data? Looking at your functions, they
    look like they need to be shared.

    Think of it this way.

    You have a class called Car, which has a property named AirbagDeployed as
    boolean

    if you have a function named DeployAirbag() it would need to be an
    instance (non-shared) method. Why? Because you would have create a new car
    instance and would want to deploy that particular car's airbag. in other
    words, instnace methods behave against a particular instance. Your
    BitHandling class looks like a helper function for dealing with bit
    information. You wouldn't create separate instance of them as you don't
    need to represent different bithandling (as you would differnent
    cars)...ergo your function don't behave against instances.

    A case where you might have instances is if your BitHandling was
    culture-specific. In which case you might have different bithandling
    instances per culture. In this case you'd need to create a new BitHandling
    class (specifying the culture) and then your functions would behave against
    that particular instance. (As an aside, an alternative would be to pass the
    culture information to each shared function so you wouldn't need to create
    culture-specific instances which works fine for a single parameter, but
    becomes messy when you're talking about more..)

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    annoying)

    Karl Seguin, May 26, 2005

  3. tshad

    tshad Guest

    wrote in message news:...
    > Tom:
    > Is the function manipulating instance data? Looking at your functions,
    > they look like they need to be shared.
    >
    > Think of it this way.
    >
    > You have a class called Car, which has a property named AirbagDeployed as
    > boolean
    >
    > if you have a function named DeployAirbag() it would need to be an
    > instance (non-shared) method. Why? Because you would have create a new
    > car instance and would want to deploy that particular car's airbag. in
    > other words, instnace methods behave against a particular instance. Your
    > BitHandling class looks like a helper function for dealing with bit
    > information. You wouldn't create separate instance of them as you don't
    > need to represent different bithandling (as you would differnent
    > cars)...ergo your function don't behave against instances.
    >
    > A case where you might have instances is if your BitHandling was
    > culture-specific. In which case you might have different bithandling
    > instances per culture. In this case you'd need to create a new
    > BitHandling class (specifying the culture) and then your functions would
    > behave against that particular instance. (As an aside, an alternative
    > would be to pass the culture information to each shared function so you
    > wouldn't need to create culture-specific instances which works fine for a
    > single parameter, but becomes messy when you're talking about more..)

    That's what gets confusing. Trying to figure out the instances bit (no pun
    intended) and if it is needed. Here is the other function that I am
    creating to put in my MyFunctions Namespace. I would give is a class of
    email, I suppose.

    This is just my prototype email program that I am putting together to make a
    more generalized function from.

    It, in essence:
    gets the connection to Sql
    gets the email record to get the subject and from/to addresses
    reads a text file to put into the body of the message
    adds a few things to the email
    sends the email

    I would probably change the function to something like:

    public shared sendEmail(filename as string, subject as string)

    sub sendEmail ( )
    dim webMasterEmail As String
    dim emailSubject As String
    Dim mailServer As String
    Dim contactEmail As String
    Dim screenTestSubject As String

    Dim emailReader As SqlDataReader

    Dim ConnectionString as String
    =System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("MM_CONNECTION_STRING_solutions")
    Dim objConn as New SqlConnection (ConnectionString)
    Dim CommandText as String = "Select
    MailServer,WebMasterEmail,ContactEmail,ScreenTestSubject from emailResponse
    where ClientID = '1234'"
    Dim objCmd as New SqlCommand(CommandText,objConn)

    objConn.Open()

    emailReader = objCmd.ExecuteReader

    if emailReader.Read then
    mailServer = emailReader("MailServer")
    webMasterEmail = emailReader("WebMasterEmail")
    contactEmail = emailReader("ContactEmail")
    screenTestSubject = emailReader("ScreenTestSubject")
    end If

    objConn.close()

    dim URLPath As String = _
    Left(request.path, InStrRev(request.path, "/") - 1)

    Dim objStreamReader as StreamReader
    Dim strInput As String
    Dim strBuffer As String

    If File.exists(MapPath("\new_account_automail.htm")) then
    objStreamReader = File.OpenText(MapPath("\new_account_automail.htm"))
    strInput = objStreamReader.ReadLine()
    while strInput <> nothing
    strBuffer = strBuffer & strInput
    strInput = objStreamReader.ReadLine()
    end while
    objStreamReader.Close
    end if

    Dim Message As New MailMessage()
    message.To = contactEmail
    message.From = webMasterEmail
    message.Subject = screenTestSubject
    message.Body = "This is line 1<br><br>"
    message.Body = message.Body & "This is line 2<br><br>"
    strInput = strBuffer.replace("#MESSAGE#",message.Body)
    strInput = strInput.replace("#MAILTITLE#","Screen Test Confirmation")
    message.Body = strInput
    message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
    SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    smtpMail.Send(message)
    end sub

    Would this work as a shared function, or would I need to make this an
    instance?

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, May 26, 2005
  4. tshad

    Karl Seguin Guest

    You would create an instance class with instance members if you wanted to
    create an Email object, set it's properties and have a Send() method, ala:

    dim email as new Email("some subject")
    email.Body = "xxx"
    email.Send()

    you would use a shared member if you wanted to pass everything in as
    parameters

    EmailHelp.Send("some subject", "xxx")

    I personally prefer the syntax of the 2nd example...but if you wanted to
    keep a bunch of different emails, say you wanted to cache them or move them
    around between your layers, it'd be necessary to have distinct instances.

    Trust your gut feeling.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    annoying)
    "tshad" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> come!)
    >> "tshad" <> wrote in message
    >>>I am setting up some of my functions in a class called MyFunctions.
    >>>
    >>> I am not clear as to the best time to set a function as Shared and when
    >>> not to. For example, I have the following bit manipulation routines in
    >>> my Class:
    >>>
    >>> *******************************************************************************
    >>> imports System
    >>>
    >>> NameSpace MyFunctions
    >>>
    >>> Public Class BitHandling
    >>>
    >>> '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    >>> '* Name : BitSet *
    >>> '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    >>> '* Purpose : Sets a given Bit in Number *
    >>> '*----------------------------------------------------------*
    >>> Public Shared Function BitSet(Number As Integer, _
    >>> Else

    Karl Seguin, May 26, 2005
  5. tshad

    tshad Guest

    wrote in message news:O%238$...
    > You would create an instance class with instance members if you wanted to
    > create an Email object, set it's properties and have a Send() method, ala:
    >
    > dim email as new Email("some subject")
    > email.Body = "xxx"
    > email.Send()
    >

    > you would use a shared member if you wanted to pass everything in as
    > parameters
    >
    > EmailHelp.Send("some subject", "xxx")
    >
    > I personally prefer the syntax of the 2nd example...but if you wanted to
    > keep a bunch of different emails, say you wanted to cache them or move
    > them around between your layers, it'd be necessary to have distinct
    > instances.

    I prefer the 2nd example also.

    But when you talk about caching or moving them, are you saying that you want
    an instance so you could do something like:

    sub somefunction (myEmail as Email)
    myEmail.somemethod()

    end sub

    Then using your 1st example:

    dim email as new Email("some subject")
    email.Body = "xxx"
    email.Send()
    somefunction(email) ' calling the above function

    BTW, I took my email function and tried to compile it using:

    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\staffingworkshop>vbc /t:library email.vb
    /r:system.web.dll /r:system.data.dll /r:system.dll
    /r:Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

    and I get the following errors:

    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\staffingworkshop\email.vb(49) : error BC30469: Reference
    to a non-shared member requires an object reference.

    I am getting this for request.path and for MapPath.

    My file looks like:
    Imports System
    Imports System.Web
    Imports System.IO
    Imports System.Web.UI
    Imports System.Web.SessionState
    Imports System.Web.Mail
    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.SqlClient
    Imports System.Web.HttpCookie
    Imports System.Web.HttpCookieCollection
    Imports System.Web.HttpResponse
    Imports System.Web.HttpRequest
    Imports System.Web.HttpApplication
    Imports System.Web.HttpApplicationState
    Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

    NameSpace MyFunctions

    Public Class Email

    Public Shared sub sendEmail ( )
    dim webMasterEmail As String
    dim emailSubject As String
    Dim mailServer As String
    Dim contactEmail As String
    Dim screenTestSubject As String

    Dim emailReader As SqlDataReader

    Dim ConnectionString as String
    =System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("MM_CONNECTION_STRING_ftsolutions")
    Dim objConn as New SqlConnection (ConnectionString)
    Dim CommandText as String = "Select
    MailServer,WebMasterEmail,ContactEmail,ScreenTestSubject from emailResponse
    where ClientID = '1234'"
    Dim objCmd as New SqlCommand(CommandText,objConn)

    objConn.Open()

    emailReader = objCmd.ExecuteReader

    if emailReader.Read then
    mailServer = emailReader("MailServer")
    webMasterEmail = emailReader("WebMasterEmail")
    contactEmail = emailReader("ContactEmail")
    screenTestSubject = emailReader("ScreenTestSubject")
    end If

    objConn.close()

    dim URLPath As String = _
    Left(request.path, InStrRev(request.path, "/") - 1)

    Dim objStreamReader as StreamReader
    Dim strInput As String
    Dim strBuffer As String

    If File.exists(MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm")) then
    objStreamReader =
    File.OpenText(MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm"))
[...]

    This happens whether emailSend is Shared or not.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, May 26, 2005
  6. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "tshad" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > strBuffer = strBuffer & strInput
    > strInput = objStreamReader.ReadLine()
    > end while
    > objStreamReader.Close
    > end if
    >
    > Dim Message As New MailMessage()
    > message.To = contactEmail
    > message.From = webMasterEmail
    > message.Subject = screenTestSubject
    > message.Body = "This is line 1<br><br>"
    > message.Body = message.Body & "This is line 2<br><br>"
    > strInput = strBuffer.replace("#MESSAGE#",message.Body)
    > strInput = strInput.replace("#MAILTITLE#","Screen Test Confirmation")
    > message.Body = strInput
    > message.BodyFormat = MailFormat.Html
    > SmtpMail.SmtpServer = mailServer
    > smtpMail.Send(message)
    > end sub
    >
    > End Class
    >
    > End Namespace
    >
    > This happens whether emailSend is Shared or not.

    I finally got it to work, but not as it should.

    To get the MapPath to work I stripped out all but the essential code to
    figure it out and plus something I saw on one of the newsgroups.

    imports System
    imports System.IO
    imports System.Web.HttpContext

    NameSpace MyFunctions

    Public Class Email

    Public Shared sub sendEmail ( )
    If
    File.exists(Current.Server.MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm"))
    then
    end if
    end sub

    End Class

    End Namespace

    I needed the following:

    imports System.Web.HttpContext

    And the MapPath changed to:

    If
    File.exists(Current.Server.MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm"))
    then

    Not sure how to get rid of Current and Server (I don't need this in my
    normal aspx page).

    I still haven't figured out the "request" error yet. But this is all hit or
    miss.

    The MSDN is no help at all. I found this by accident. Isn't there a place
    to find this? I should have to play games to get this to work.

    MSDN says MapPath is part of the Server object, but nowhere (that I can
    find) does it show how to define it in your code.

    Tom

    tshad, May 26, 2005
  7. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "tshad" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > NameSpace MyFunctions
    >
    > Public Class Email
    >
    > Public Shared sub sendEmail ( )
    > If
    > File.exists(Current.Server.MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm"))
    > then
    > end if
    > end sub
    >
    > End Class
    >
    > End Namespace
    >
    > I needed the following:
    >
    > imports System.Web.HttpContext
    >
    > And the MapPath changed to:
    >
    > If
    > File.exists(Current.Server.MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm"))
    > then
    >
    > Not sure how to get rid of Current and Server (I don't need this in my
    > normal aspx page).
    >
    > I still haven't figured out the "request" error yet. But this is all hit

    It turns out the same import is used and you have to do code as:

    Current.Server.Request.Path

    Again, makes no sense and was found by trial and error. If you do just the
    request.Path (where request is one of the members) you get the error.

    Tom

    tshad, May 26, 2005
  8. tshad

    Karl Seguin Guest

    You've lost me a bit with the mass amounts of code.

    That's exactly what I'm saying about moving it around (as a parameter).

    As for your error. Objects which you typically program with in your page
    and user controls such as Request, Response, Server, ... are there because
    they are exposed as part of the System.Web.UI.Control class your page/user
    control inherits from (couple levels deep).

    Your email class inherits directly from Object, so Request, Response, Server
    are meaningless. To get references to these objects within your class
    functions, you need to use System.Web.HttpContext.Current which returns the
    current context (ie the web request) which exposes the Response, Request,
    Server, ...

    so you would do:

    dim context as HttpContext = HttpContext.Current
    if context is nothing then 'possible if someone is trying to use this
    class outside of a web-scope
    throw new InvalidOperationException("MyFunc needs to be called from web
    request") 'maybe you can do something other than throw an exception?
    end if
    'now you have access to your request and response objects, here's an example
    dim request as HttpRequest = context.Request
    dim someValue as string =Request.QueryString("blah")

    hope that helps..

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    annoying)

    Karl Seguin, May 27, 2005
  9. tshad

    tshad Guest

    "tshad" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    >> If
    >> File.exists(Current.Server.MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm"))
    >> then
    >> end if
    >> end sub
    >>
    >> End Class
    >>
    >> End Namespace
    >>
    >> I needed the following:
    >>
    >> imports System.Web.HttpContext
    >>
    >> And the MapPath changed to:
    >>
    >> If
    >> File.exists(Current.Server.MapPath("..\..\automail\new_account_automail.htm"))
    >> then
    >>
    >> Not sure how to get rid of Current and Server (I don't need this in my
    >> normal aspx page).
    >>
    >> I still haven't figured out the "request" error yet. But this is all hit
    >> or miss.

    > It turns out the same import is used and you have to do code as:

    Actually, it's "Current.Request.Path" - no server.

    Tom

    tshad, May 27, 2005
  10. tshad

    tshad Guest

    wrote in message news:...
    > You've lost me a bit with the mass amounts of code.
    >
    > That's exactly what I'm saying about moving it around (as a parameter).
    >
    > As for your error. Objects which you typically program with in your page
    > and user controls such as Request, Response, Server, ... are there because
    > they are exposed as part of the System.Web.UI.Control class your page/user
    > control inherits from (couple levels deep).
    >
    > Your email class inherits directly from Object, so Request, Response,
    > Server are meaningless. To get references to these objects within your
    > class functions, you need to use System.Web.HttpContext.Current which
    > returns the current context (ie the web request) which exposes the
    > Response, Request, Server, ...
    >
    > so you would do:
    >
    > dim context as HttpContext = HttpContext.Current
    > if context is nothing then 'possible if someone is trying to use this
    > class outside of a web-scope
    > throw new InvalidOperationException("MyFunc needs to be called from web
    > request") 'maybe you can do something other than throw an exception?
    > end if
    > 'now you have access to your request and response objects, here's an
    > example
    > dim request as HttpRequest = context.Request
    > dim someValue as string =Request.QueryString("blah")

    I may be a little dense here.

    If I do this:

    Imports System.Web.HTTPContext
    Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

    NameSpace MyFunctions

    Public Class Email

    Public Shared sub sendEmail ( )
    dim URLPath As String = Left(Current.request.path,
    InStrRev(Current.request.path, "/") - 1)
    end sub

    End Class

    End Namespace

    Where I use "Current.request.path" - it works fine.

    If I do this:
    Imports System.Web.HTTPContext
    Imports System.Web.HTTPContext.Current
    Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

    NameSpace MyFunctions

    Public Class Email

    Public Shared sub sendEmail ( )
    dim URLPath As String = Left(request.path, InStrRev(request.path, "/") -
    1)
    end sub

    End Class

    End Namespace
    Where I have "Imports System.Web.HTTPContext.Current", I get 2 errors:

    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\staffingworkshop\emailold3.vb(2) : error BC30466:
    Namespace or type 'Current' for the Imports 'System.Web.HTTPContext.Current'
    cannot be found.

    Imports System.Web.HTTPContext.Current

    and

    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\staffingworkshop\emailold3.vb(10) : error BC30469:
    Reference to a non-shared member requires an object reference.

    dim URLPath As String = Left(request.path,
    InStrRev(request.path, "/") - 1)

    You, and the error, say I need to have an object reference. But when I
    create an aspx page (where I am using code inside), I don't need this. I
    can reference request (and MapPath) directly.

    I understood that the difference between code-inside and code-behind was
    that you had to explicitly do the imports in a code-behind file). But in
    this case, it is even more than that.

    That is where I am confused.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, May 27, 2005
  11. tshad

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Ok...
    Your codebehind file is a class which inherits Page.

    Page exposes the request/response/server which is why it just works as is..

    Your email class isn't "web aware" since it doesn't inherit from Page or any
    other "web aware" classes.

    To have webawarness you use System.Web.HttpContext.Current. You cannot
    import this because it's a property...you simply can't import properties in
    vb.net.

    youshould be doing:

    Imports System.Web

    and in your code use
    HttpContext.Current.Request

    or, as I showed earlier, use
    dim context as HttpContext = HttpContext.Current
    dim request as HttpRequest = context.Request

    We've covered a lot of ground in this thread :)

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    annoying)

    Karl Seguin, May 27, 2005
  12. tshad

    tshad Guest

    wrote in message news:...
    > Ok...
    > Your codebehind file is a class which inherits Page.
    >
    > Page exposes the request/response/server which is why it just works as
    > is..
    >

    > Your email class isn't "web aware" since it doesn't inherit from Page or
    > any other "web aware" classes.
    >
    > To have webawarness you use System.Web.HttpContext.Current. You cannot
    > import this because it's a property...you simply can't import properties
    > in vb.net.
    >
    > youshould be doing:
    >
    > Imports System.Web
    >
    > and in your code use
    > HttpContext.Current.Request
    >
    > or, as I showed earlier, use
    > dim context as HttpContext = HttpContext.Current
    > dim request as HttpRequest = context.Request
    >

    > We've covered a lot of ground in this thread :)

    Yes, we have - and I really appreciate it. These are the things that are
    hard to get a handle on as it isn't covered well in most of the books I have
    (or at least not in the places I have been reading).

    If you knew where to find this, it would probably be there - but you have to
    find it.

    Thanks,

    Tom

    tshad, May 27, 2005