Shared perl reposity

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Brian McCauley, Jun 3, 2005.

  1. Hessu wrote:

    > I have a shared common directory for users (TOOLDIR)to have tools I
    > wrote available for them.
    >
    > Everybody is mapping TOOLDIR and adding it to path to use my tools.
    > But they have to install required perl version and install required
    > modules locally on their PCs to make everything working.
    > And sadly if tools got any modules updated, users have to update them
    > too, locally.
    >
    > 1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so they
    > would be available to users without continuing local module updates?

    Yes, just include TOOLDIR in @INC. (Using the PERL5LIB envronment
    variable).

    > 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
    > be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or they
    > can keep their own local perl version?

    There should be no problem on most operating systems so long as the
    contents TOOLDIR is accessed using the same path on all clients (i.e.
    they map it so the same local drive or directory).

    Brian McCauley, Jun 3, 2005

  2. Brian McCauley

    Hessu Guest

    Hello,

    I have a shared common directory for users (TOOLDIR)to have tools I
    wrote available for them.

    Everybody is mapping TOOLDIR and adding it to path to use my tools.
    But they have to install required perl version and install required
    modules locally on their PCs to make everything working.
    And sadly if tools got any modules updated, users have to update them
    too, locally.

    1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so they
    would be available to users without continuing local module updates?

    2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
    be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or they
    can keep their own local perl version?

    3) Would there be any other scripting or tool language with which this
    would be easy or even possible?

    Thank you, Yours

    Hessu

    Hessu, Jun 3, 2005

  3. Brian McCauley

    Hemis Guest

    Brian McCauley wrote:
    > Hessu wrote:
    >
    >> I have a shared common directory for users (TOOLDIR)to have tools I
    >> wrote available for them.
    >>
    >> Everybody is mapping TOOLDIR and adding it to path to use my tools.
    >> But they have to install required perl version and install required
    >> modules locally on their PCs to make everything working.
    >> And sadly if tools got any modules updated, users have to update them
    >> too, locally.
    >>
    >> 1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so
    >> they would be available to users without continuing local module updates?

    > Yes, just include TOOLDIR in @INC. (Using the PERL5LIB envronment
    > variable).
    >
    >> 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
    >> be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or
    >> they can keep their own local perl version?

    > There should be no problem on most operating systems so long as the
    > contents TOOLDIR is accessed using the same path on all clients (i.e.
    > they map it so the same local drive or directory).

    Thank you for your answers.

    Actually, mapping the dir to agreed drive ("Everybody must use T: for
    tools-yeah it's windows!") is what we do.

    Hemis, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Hemis wrote:

    > Brian McCauley wrote:
    >
    >> Hessu wrote:
    >>
    >>> 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that
    >>> would be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally
    >>> or they can keep their own local perl version?

    >> There should be no problem on most operating systems so long as the
    >> contents TOOLDIR is accessed using the same path on all clients (i.e.
    >> they map it so the same local drive or directory).

    > Actually, mapping the dir to agreed drive ("Everybody must use T: for
    > tools-yeah it's windows!") is what we do.

    Note: you must run the installation program to install Perl onto T: so
    that all the paths in Config.pm will contain T:

    Brian McCauley, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Brian McCauley

    Big and Blue Guest

    Hessu wrote:

    > 1) Is it practically possible to install perl modules in TOOLDIR so they
    > would be available to users without continuing local module updates?
    >
    > 2) Is it practically possible to install perl in TOOLDIR so that would
    > be available so that users doesn't have to install perl locally or they
    > can keep their own local perl version?
    >
    > 3) Would there be any other scripting or tool language with which this
    > would be easy or even possible?

    What about:

    4) Provide everyone with the same version of Perl from a network-mounted
    filesystem and get that to know about TOOLDIR.

    either you or I have to believe it.

    Big and Blue, Jun 4, 2005