    under my /doc_root
    So which possibilities do I have now to put I https link to that
    directory?

    Jan C. Faerber, Dec 16, 2009

  2. Jan C. Faerber wrote:
    > I don't want to disturb my support hotline too much.
    >
    > First they said shared ssl is activated but https://www.mypage.tld did
    > not work.
    > I found out that you should provide a certain directory where shared
    > ssl is working on your webspace.
    >
    > Now my provider accepted to activate shared ssl for a certain
    > directory e.g. /dontfear
    > under my /doc_root
    > So which possibilities do I have now to put I https link to that
    > directory?

    I'm afraid I don't understand the question. You don't know how to write
    https links to pages in that directory?

    Harlan Messinger, Dec 16, 2009

  3. Jan C. Faerber

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 16, 2:55 am, "Jan C. Faerber" <> wrote:
    > I don't want to disturb my support hotline too much.
    >
    > First they said shared ssl is activated buthttps://www.mypage.tlddid
    > not work.
    > I found out that you should provide a certain directory where shared
    > ssl is working on your webspace.
    >
    > Now my provider accepted to activate shared ssl for a certain
    > directory e.g. /dontfear
    > under my /doc_root
    > So which possibilities do I have now to put I https link to that
    > directory?

    I posted a day ago, but the post has not yet appeared using my reader.
    Thus I will try again.

    There are many ways hosts can set up for ssl. One could use a
    dedicated directory for ssl files only, but there also are ways to
    just use any of your existing files on the server and just have to
    change the url in the case of using shared ssl. Perhaps your provider
    provides a manual for the details of setting up shared ssl.. Anyway
    you likely will have to get information in some way from the provider
    of the service unless you name the service, if commercial, and
    someone here has used their service as well as shared ssl on it.

    Although it sounds as if your host does things in a different manner
    from mine, I will illustrate what I have to do for shared ssl pages.
    The host has an online manual in which ssl is described at
    http://www.hostexcellence.com/index.php/v2/pages.manual11 . Turning on
    shared ssl is very easy at the control panel.

    The url of a simple gif is http://www.cwdjr.net/pic/frog_eats_fly.gif
    .. With ssl turned on at the control panel, the url for the secure page
    becomes https://cwdjr.c6.hostexcellence.com/pic/frog_eats_fly.gif .

    Another page is at http://www.cwdjr.net/boan/HappyNewYear1.php . There
    is a complication, because this page has a link to a large external JS
    in another file. The secure page is https://cwdjr.c6.hostexcellence.com/boan/HappyNewYear1.php
    .. Thus this page is part secure and part non-secure because of the
    link to the external script. Browsers handle this in different ways.
    Most of the browsers will inform you that the page contains some non-
    secure material. Many browsers will ask before displaying the page.
    View on Firefox, IE7, Opera, and Safari to see how different browsers
    respond. A simple way to overcome this problem is by moving all
    external scripts, css files, etc to the main page. I would never give
    personal information, such as credit card numbers, over a page that
    has partial non-secure content. I do not know much about hacking, but
    I would guess a good hacker might be able to use an external non-
    secure script to do very naughty things.

    Since New Year Eve will be here soon, I will mention that there is
    another version of the New Year Page at http://www.cwdjr.net/boan/HappyNewYear2.php
    .. One may need a few absinthe drips before viewing this page. It
    includes swf/flv video, dhtml effects, and even Java! Yes you can
    still use an applet and have the page validate at W3C, but you are
    limited to only transitional and frame set versions of html 4.01 and
    xhtml1.0.

    cwdjrxyz, Dec 17, 2009
  4. On Dec 16, 12:37 pm, Harlan Messinger
    <> wrote:

    > > Now my provider accepted to activate shared ssl for a certain
    > > directory  e.g. /dontfear
    > > under my /doc_root
    > > So which possibilities do I have now to put I https link to that
    > > directory?

    > I'm afraid I don't understand the question. You don't know how to write
    > https links to pages in that directory?

    No - last time it did not work https://dontfear.mydomain.tld

    It seems there are more than one solution.
    Depends on the provider.
    It can take also some days until it's acitvated.

    Thank you all anyway for your response.

    Cheers
    Jan

    Jan C. Faerber, Dec 21, 2009