SharePoint help

GaryDean

I was advised by a Microsoft speaker at a local .Net conference that
"SharePoint" had a lot to offer for asp.net developers. I've spent a few
hours hunting down links on Sharepoint Services in Server2003 and also
SharePoint Portal Server Product. Whenever I try to learn the details of
what the SharePoint services have to offer for asp.net developers all roads
lead to a video, recorded in 2003 that has to do with "asp.net" and
sharepoint.

One slide is given with some vague points on sharepoint and the rest of the
90 minute video is about developing web parts in VS 2003.

Is they any useful information on what we can use these services for? Any
docs? Anywhere?

Juan T. Llibre

Sharepoint 2003 is old news.
It has been replaced by Sharepoint 2007.

Take a look at the Sharepoint info here :

http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/overview.mspx

There's 2 different Sharepoint products :
Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services.

There's a specialized IDE to help create apps for Sharepoint : SharePoint Designer 2007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/FX100487631033.aspx

You can download a free trial at that page.

SharePoint meet business needs like managing content, mainly documents,
and business workflow processes, simplifying how people find and share information.

Masudur

Sharepoint 2003 is old news.
It has been replaced by Sharepoint 2007.

Take a look at the Sharepoint info here :

http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/overview.mspx

There's 2 different Sharepoint products :
Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services.

There's a specialized IDE to help create apps for Sharepoint : SharePoint Designer 2007

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/FX100487631033.aspx

You can download a free trial at that page.

SharePoint meet business needs like managing content, mainly documents,
and business workflow processes, simplifying how people find and share information.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/

I was advised by a Microsoft speaker at a local .Net conference that "SharePoint" had a lot to
offer for asp.net developers. I've spent a few hours hunting down links on Sharepoint Services in
Server2003 and also SharePoint Portal Server Product. Whenever I try to learn the details of what
the SharePoint services have to offer for asp.net developers all roads lead to a video, recorded in
2003 that has to do with "asp.net" and sharepoint.
One slide is given with some vague points on sharepoint and the rest of the 90 minute video is
about developing web parts in VS 2003.
Is they any useful information on what we can use these services for? Any docs? Anywhere?

Hi....

The new Sharepoint product MOSS 2007 is built on WSS 3.0 (windows
sharepoint service)
Microsoft elearnning have few clinic on MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0 and
those are free please do check thouse out....
And dont forget to learn about "Business data catalog" the new
impressive addition of MOSS 2007

And for reference book i would like to suggest
Scot Hillier 's sharepoint books

Thanks
Masudur

Guest

I was advised by a Microsoft speaker at a local .Net conference that
"SharePoint" had a lot to offer for asp.net developers. I've spent a few
hours hunting down links on Sharepoint Services in Server2003 and also
SharePoint Portal Server Product. Whenever I try to learn the details of
what the SharePoint services have to offer for asp.net developers all roads
lead to a video, recorded in 2003 that has to do with "asp.net" and
sharepoint.

One slide is given with some vague points on sharepoint and the rest of the
90 minute video is about developing web parts in VS 2003.

Is they any useful information on what we can use these services for? Any
docs? Anywhere?

Hi Gary,

I would suggest starting your looking at WSS books
http://www.asaris.de/sites/walsh/Lists/WSSv3 FAQ/V Books.aspx

There are a number of newsgroups dedicated to SharePoint
microsoft.­public.­sharepoint.*

Hope it helps

GaryDean

It looks like an Office product that would compete with asp.net and I'm
guessing that SharePoint Server 2007 would be a relatively expensive product
to license for a small company. I see there are add-ins for Visual Studio
2005 for SharePoint. I am wondering if using the SharePoint Services in
asp.net applications could be useful without licensing the Server.

Guest

It looks like an Office product that would compete with asp.net and I'm
guessing that SharePoint Server 2007 would be a relatively expensive product
to license for a small company. I see there are add-ins for Visual Studio
2005 for SharePoint. I am wondering if using the SharePoint Services in
asp.net applications could be useful without licensing the Server.

Office SharePoint Server 2007 $4424
Office Forms Server 2007 $4424

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/FX102176831033.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/FX101865111033.aspx

WSS is free, comes with Windows Server 2003.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> It looks like an Office product that would compete with asp.net

Hi, GaryDean.

I don't see ASP.NET and Office SharePoint Server as competitors.

Office SharePoint Server builds on ASP.NET's capabilities to provide valued-added features.

Office SharePoint Server has nothing to offer a developer who's working on a web front end
to a company database, like for building an online catalog/ecommerce web application.

Office SharePoint Server, basically, enables document-sharing.
It could also provide a web app which lets employees access vital statistics about their company.

As Masudur explained : don't forget to learn about "Business data catalog".

re:
!> I am wondering if using the SharePoint Services in
!> asp.net applications could be useful without licensing the Server

There's a lot of "Web Part" functionality which you can use
in ASP.NET without licensing the Office SharePoint Server.

You'll have to weigh what the development cost for those would be, compared to
Office SharePoint Server's cost, which has a lot of business funcionality built-in.

Mark Rae

Office SharePoint Server builds on ASP.NET's capabilities to provide
valued-added features.

*MASSIVE* kudos to you for not using "leverages" in the above sentence...

:)

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> *MASSIVE* kudos to you for not using "leverages" in the above sentence

<chuckle>

I hate that word, too...