    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, May 26, 2007

  2. Sharepoint 2003 is old news.
    It has been replaced by Sharepoint 2007.

    Take a look at the Sharepoint info here :

    http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/overview.mspx

    There's 2 different Sharepoint products :
    Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services.

    There's a specialized IDE to help create apps for Sharepoint : SharePoint Designer 2007

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/FX100487631033.aspx

    You can download a free trial at that page.

    SharePoint meet business needs like managing content, mainly documents,
    and business workflow processes, simplifying how people find and share information.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, May 26, 2007

  3. GaryDean

    Masudur Guest

    On May 26, 7:31 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
    > Sharepoint 2003 is old news.
    > It has been replaced by Sharepoint 2007.
    >
    > Take a look at the Sharepoint info here :
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/overview.mspx
    >
    > There's 2 different Sharepoint products :
    > Office SharePoint Server 2007 and Windows SharePoint Services.
    >
    > There's a specialized IDE to help create apps for Sharepoint : SharePoint Designer 2007
    >
    > http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointdesigner/FX100487631033.aspx
    >
    > You can download a free trial at that page.
    >
    > SharePoint meet business needs like managing content, mainly documents,
    > and business workflow processes, simplifying how people find and share information.
    >
    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ======================================"GaryDean" <> wrote in message

    > >I was advised by a Microsoft speaker at a local .Net conference that "SharePoint" had a lot to
    > >offer for asp.net developers. I've spent a few hours hunting down links on Sharepoint Services in
    > >Server2003 and also SharePoint Portal Server Product. Whenever I try to learn the details of what
    > >the SharePoint services have to offer for asp.net developers all roads lead to a video, recorded in
    > >2003 that has to do with "asp.net" and sharepoint.

    > > One slide is given with some vague points on sharepoint and the rest of the 90 minute video is
    > > about developing web parts in VS 2003.

    > > Is they any useful information on what we can use these services for? Any docs? Anywhere?

    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > > Gary Blakely

    Hi....

    The new Sharepoint product MOSS 2007 is built on WSS 3.0 (windows
    sharepoint service)
    Microsoft elearnning have few clinic on MOSS 2007 and WSS 3.0 and
    those are free please do check thouse out....
    And dont forget to learn about "Business data catalog" the new
    impressive addition of MOSS 2007

    And for reference book i would like to suggest
    Scot Hillier 's sharepoint books

    Thanks
    Masudur

    Masudur, May 26, 2007
  4. On May 26, 3:16 am, "GaryDean" <> wrote:
    > I was advised by a Microsoft speaker at a local .Net conference that
    > "SharePoint" had a lot to offer for asp.net developers. I've spent a few
    > hours hunting down links on Sharepoint Services in Server2003 and also
    > SharePoint Portal Server Product. Whenever I try to learn the details of
    > what the SharePoint services have to offer for asp.net developers all roads
    > lead to a video, recorded in 2003 that has to do with "asp.net" and
    > sharepoint.
    >
    > One slide is given with some vague points on sharepoint and the rest of the
    > 90 minute video is about developing web parts in VS 2003.
    >
    > Is they any useful information on what we can use these services for? Any
    > docs? Anywhere?
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Gary Blakely

    Hi Gary,

    I would suggest starting your looking at WSS books
    http://www.asaris.de/sites/walsh/Lists/WSSv3 FAQ/V Books.aspx

    There are a number of newsgroups dedicated to SharePoint
    microsoft.­public.­sharepoint.*

    Hope it helps

    Alexey Smirnov, May 26, 2007
  5. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    It looks like an Office product that would compete with asp.net and I'm
    guessing that SharePoint Server 2007 would be a relatively expensive product
    to license for a small company. I see there are add-ins for Visual Studio
    2005 for SharePoint. I am wondering if using the SharePoint Services in
    asp.net applications could be useful without licensing the Server.

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, May 27, 2007
  6. On May 27, 7:12 pm, "GaryDean" <> wrote:
    > It looks like an Office product that would compete with asp.net and I'm
    > guessing that SharePoint Server 2007 would be a relatively expensive product
    > to license for a small company. I see there are add-ins for Visual Studio
    > 2005 for SharePoint. I am wondering if using the SharePoint Services in
    > asp.net applications could be useful without licensing the Server.

    Office SharePoint Server 2007 $4424
    Office Forms Server 2007 $4424

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/FX102176831033.aspx
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/FX101865111033.aspx

    WSS is free, comes with Windows Server 2003.

    Alexey Smirnov, May 27, 2007
  7. re:
    !> It looks like an Office product that would compete with asp.net

    Hi, GaryDean.

    I don't see ASP.NET and Office SharePoint Server as competitors.

    Office SharePoint Server builds on ASP.NET's capabilities to provide valued-added features.

    Office SharePoint Server has nothing to offer a developer who's working on a web front end
    to a company database, like for building an online catalog/ecommerce web application.

    Office SharePoint Server, basically, enables document-sharing.
    It could also provide a web app which lets employees access vital statistics about their company.

    As Masudur explained : don't forget to learn about "Business data catalog".

    re:
    !> I am wondering if using the SharePoint Services in
    !> asp.net applications could be useful without licensing the Server

    There's a lot of "Web Part" functionality which you can use
    in ASP.NET without licensing the Office SharePoint Server.

    You'll have to weigh what the development cost for those would be, compared to
    Office SharePoint Server's cost, which has a lot of business funcionality built-in.

    Juan T. Llibre, May 27, 2007
  8. GaryDean

    Mark Rae Guest

    > Office SharePoint Server builds on ASP.NET's capabilities to provide
    > valued-added features.

    *MASSIVE* kudos to you for not using "leverages" in the above sentence...

    :)

    --
    http://www.markrae.net

    Mark Rae, May 27, 2007
  9. re:
    !> *MASSIVE* kudos to you for not using "leverages" in the above sentence

    <chuckle>

    I hate that word, too...

    Juan T. Llibre, May 27, 2007