Shareware C Compiler

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by frodobaggins@cornwall.privacy, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. Guest

    , Jan 14, 2008

  2. user923005 Guest

    On Jan 14, 10:40 am, wrote:
    > There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
    >
    > http://www.c-compiler.com/
    >
    > It has an integrated Windows workbench. You can contact the author at;
    >
    > http://www.c-compiler.com/feedback.php

    What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
    Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

    user923005, Jan 14, 2008

  3. jacob navia Guest

    user923005 wrote:
    > On Jan 14, 10:40 am, wrote:
    >> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
    >>
    >> http://www.c-compiler.com/
    >>
    >> It has an integrated Windows workbench. You can contact the author at;
    >>
    >> http://www.c-compiler.com/feedback.php

    > What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
    > Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

    It compiles for MSDOS

    As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.

    --
    jacob navia
    jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

    jacob navia, Jan 14, 2008
  4. CJ Guest

    On 14 Jan 2008 at 20:15, jacob navia wrote:
    > user923005 wrote:
    >> On Jan 14, 10:40 am, wrote:
    >>> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
    >>>
    >>> http://www.c-compiler.com/
    >>>
    >>> It has an integrated Windows workbench. You can contact the author at;
    >>>
    >>> http://www.c-compiler.com/feedback.php

    >> What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
    >> Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

    > It compiles for MSDOS

    In contrast to lcc-win, for example, which doesn't even compile for
    Windows 98.

    CJ, Jan 14, 2008
  5. Randy Howard Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:14:34 -0600, user923005 wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > On Jan 14, 10:40 am, wrote:
    >> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;

    [spam snipped]

    > What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
    > Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

    It offers to have you pay money for what you can do for free. It's
    good for the economy, the children, saves the whales, and julienne's
    fries. There's a remote chance that it even generates valid code and
    diagnoses syntax errors properly.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

    Randy Howard, Jan 14, 2008
  6. "jacob navia" <> wrote in message

    > As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.

    A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
    to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
    supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

    --
    Free games and programming goodies.
    http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    Malcolm McLean, Jan 14, 2008
  7. In article <>,
    Malcolm McLean <> wrote:
    >A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
    >to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
    >supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

    Supermarket tills are increasingly graphic these days. And I suspect
    that not many manufacturers would be interested in implementing a
    new product line upon an operating system that is no longer supported.

    BTW, You might expect that something as simple as an ATM
    (Automatic Teller Machine) might use DOS, but it turns out that
    a lot of them have been implemented in Windows. You can find various
    pictures on the 'net clearly showing BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)
    on ATMs.
    --
    We regret to announce that sub-millibarn resolution bio-hyperdimensional
    plasmatic space polyimaging has been delayed until the release

    Walter Roberson, Jan 14, 2008
  8. jacob navia Guest

    CJ wrote:
    > On 14 Jan 2008 at 20:15, jacob navia wrote:
    >> user923005 wrote:

    >>> What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
    >>> Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

    >> It compiles for MSDOS

    > In contrast to lcc-win, for example, which doesn't even compile for
    > Windows 98.

    This is YAL

    (yet another lie)

    jacob navia, Jan 14, 2008
  9. On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:29:50 +0100, CJ wrote:

    > On 14 Jan 2008 at 20:15, jacob navia wrote:
    >> user923005 wrote:

    >>> What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
    >>> Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

    >> It compiles for MSDOS

    > In contrast to lcc-win, for example, which doesn't even compile for
    > Windows 98.

    IIRC, it does, but portions of the package (the debugger?) don't work in
    Win98, at least on some Win98-capable systems.

    Not that this has bugger all to do with C. :)

    Kelsey Bjarnason, Jan 14, 2008
  10. Al Balmer Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:15:20 +0100, jacob navia <>
    wrote:

    >user923005 wrote:
    >> On Jan 14, 10:40 am, wrote:
    >>> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
    >>>
    >>> http://www.c-compiler.com/
    >>>
    >>> It has an integrated Windows workbench. You can contact the author at;
    >>>
    >>> http://www.c-compiler.com/feedback.php

    >> What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
    >> Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

    >It compiles for MSDOS

    So does Watcom, last I knew.

    >As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Jan 15, 2008
  11. Al Balmer Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:17:49 +0000 (UTC), -cnrc.gc.ca
    (Walter Roberson) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Malcolm McLean <> wrote:
    >>A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
    >>to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
    >>supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

    >Supermarket tills are increasingly graphic these days. And I suspect
    >that not many manufacturers would be interested in implementing a
    >new product line upon an operating system that is no longer supported.

    DOS is still supported, and quite useful.
    http://www.datalight.com/products/romdos/
    http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos703.htm
    http://www.jkmicro.com/products/products.html

    and of course,
    http://www.freedos.org/

    >BTW, You might expect that something as simple as an ATM
    >(Automatic Teller Machine) might use DOS, but it turns out that
    >a lot of them have been implemented in Windows.

    My bank switched from OS/2 to Windows-based ATMs not so long ago. The
    new ones are infuriatingly slow.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Jan 15, 2008
  12. CBFalconer Guest

    jacob navia wrote:
    > CJ wrote:

    .... snip ...

    >> In contrast to lcc-win, for example, which doesn't even compile
    >> for Windows 98.

    > This is YAL (yet another lie)

    Jacob is accurate here, in my experience. While the compile works,
    the system does not. The debugger aborts on 'illegal instruction'
    when run on a '486 (which executes W98 perfectly well). As far as
    I know Jacob has been unable to discover the cause of the failing
    in the past 5 or 6 years or so, although he was advised of it
    within about a month of the failure occuring.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Jan 15, 2008
  13. Richard Bos Guest

    "Malcolm McLean" <> wrote:

    > "jacob navia" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.
    > >

    > A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
    > to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
    > supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

    An A2 flatbed scanner we have here _does_ use MS-DOS. There is no need
    for it to use anything else, as it does not need to provide a WIMP
    environment.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 15, 2008
  14. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, Malcolm McLean
    <> writes

    >"jacob navia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.
    >>

    >A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would
    >want to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this
    >at, a supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

    There are several ROM-DOS implementations and DR or MS-DOS
    implementations for embedded systems running the 386. This is not
    uncommon.
    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

    Chris Hills, Jan 15, 2008
  15. CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Hills wrote:
    > Malcolm McLean <> writes
    >> "jacob navia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.

    >> A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West
    >> would want to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am
    >> typing this at, a supermarket till or a juke box could well
    >> still use DOS.

    > There are several ROM-DOS implementations and DR or MS-DOS
    > implementations for embedded systems running the 386. This is
    > not uncommon.

    There is also FreeDos, complete with source, and maintained.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Jan 15, 2008
  16. acy wrote:

    > There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
    >
    > http://www.c-compiler.com/

    I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
    many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
    could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
    documentation, of course.

    Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
    a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
    requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

    --
    Josh

    Josh Sebastian, Jan 16, 2008

    I wonder if the professor knows somebody at c-compiler.com?

    Philip Potter, Jan 16, 2008
  18. Chris Hills Guest

    In article <fmkin6$atp$>, Philip Potter <>
    writes
    >Josh Sebastian wrote:
    >> acy wrote:
    >>
    >>> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
    >>>
    >>> http://www.c-compiler.com/

    >> I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other
    >>day. Like
    >> many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
    >> could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
    >> documentation, of course.
    >> Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's
    >>taking
    >> a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
    >> requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.
    >>

    >I wonder if the professor knows somebody at c-compiler.com?

    If it is any help I found a small C compiler (for DOS) which is in
    source code form. I don't recommend using it as a C compiler for real
    projects but it is interesting if you want to see how a compiler works.
    Or rather how they were done 15 years ago. It's a LOT smaller than Gcc

    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

    Chris Hills, Jan 16, 2008
  19. Josh Sebastian wrote:
    > acy wrote:
    >
    >> There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;
    >>
    >> http://www.c-compiler.com/

    > I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
    > many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
    > could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
    > documentation, of course.
    >
    > Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
    > a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
    > requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

    I think I would wonder if the Professor was getting a cut of the $20
    because I cannot imagine why anyone would otherwise recommend it in
    light of the documentation deficiencies.

    Francis Glassborow, Jan 16, 2008
  20. Richard Bos Guest

    Francis Glassborow <> wrote:

    > Josh Sebastian wrote:
    > > I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
    > > many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
    > > could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
    > > documentation, of course.
    > >
    > > Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
    > > a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
    > > requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

    > I think I would wonder if the Professor was getting a cut of the $20
    > because I cannot imagine why anyone would otherwise recommend it in
    > light of the documentation deficiencies.

    I cannot help wondering if the two "Tadeusz Szocik"s are in any way
    related, but that's probably my cynicism speaking.

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 16, 2008