Shareware C Compiler

jacob navia

user923005 said:
What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

It compiles for MSDOS

As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.

Randy Howard

[spam snipped]
What does it have to offer that I can't get from GCC or the free
Watcom, Borland, or MS-Express compilers?

It offers to have you pay money for what you can do for free. It's
good for the economy, the children, saves the whales, and julienne's
fries. There's a remote chance that it even generates valid code and
diagnoses syntax errors properly.

Malcolm McLean

jacob navia said:
As you (may) know, MSDOS is the operating system of the future.
A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

Walter Roberson

A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

Supermarket tills are increasingly graphic these days. And I suspect
that not many manufacturers would be interested in implementing a
new product line upon an operating system that is no longer supported.

BTW, You might expect that something as simple as an ATM
(Automatic Teller Machine) might use DOS, but it turns out that
a lot of them have been implemented in Windows. You can find various
pictures on the 'net clearly showing BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)
on ATMs.

Kelsey Bjarnason

In contrast to lcc-win, for example, which doesn't even compile for
Windows 98.

IIRC, it does, but portions of the package (the debugger?) don't work in
Win98, at least on some Win98-capable systems.

Not that this has bugger all to do with C. :)

Al Balmer

Supermarket tills are increasingly graphic these days. And I suspect
that not many manufacturers would be interested in implementing a
new product line upon an operating system that is no longer supported.

DOS is still supported, and quite useful.
http://www.datalight.com/products/romdos/
http://www.drdos.com/products/drdos703.htm
http://www.jkmicro.com/products/products.html

and of course,
http://www.freedos.org/
BTW, You might expect that something as simple as an ATM
(Automatic Teller Machine) might use DOS, but it turns out that
a lot of them have been implemented in Windows.

My bank switched from OS/2 to Windows-based ATMs not so long ago. The
new ones are infuriatingly slow.

CBFalconer

jacob said:
CJ wrote:
.... snip ...

This is YAL (yet another lie)

Jacob is accurate here, in my experience. While the compile works,
the system does not. The debugger aborts on 'illegal instruction'
when run on a '486 (which executes W98 perfectly well). As far as
I know Jacob has been unable to discover the cause of the failing
in the past 5 or 6 years or so, although he was advised of it
within about a month of the failure occuring.

Richard Bos

Malcolm McLean said:
A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would want
to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this at, a
supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

An A2 flatbed scanner we have here _does_ use MS-DOS. There is no need
for it to use anything else, as it does not need to provide a WIMP
environment.

Richard

Chris Hills

Malcolm McLean said:
A DOS board is very cheap these days. Whilst no one in the West would
want to use it as a general-purpose computer such as I am typing this
at, a supermarket till or a juke box could well still use DOS.

There are several ROM-DOS implementations and DR or MS-DOS
implementations for embedded systems running the 386. This is not
uncommon.

CBFalconer

Chris said:
There are several ROM-DOS implementations and DR or MS-DOS
implementations for embedded systems running the 386. This is
not uncommon.

There is also FreeDos, complete with source, and maintained.

Josh Sebastian

There is a shareware C compiler downloadable from;

http://www.c-compiler.com/

I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
documentation, of course.

Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

Philip Potter

Josh said:
I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
documentation, of course.

Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.
I wonder if the professor knows somebody at c-compiler.com?

Chris Hills

[QUOTE="Philip Potter said:
I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other
day. Like
many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
documentation, of course.
Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's
taking
a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.
I wonder if the professor knows somebody at c-compiler.com?[/QUOTE]

If it is any help I found a small C compiler (for DOS) which is in
source code form. I don't recommend using it as a C compiler for real
projects but it is interesting if you want to see how a compiler works.
Or rather how they were done 15 years ago. It's a LOT smaller than Gcc

Francis Glassborow

Josh said:
I'd never heard of this compiler before seeing this post the other day. Like
many of you, I had a little chuckle at the idea that someone thought they
could make $20 providing what many others do for free. And at the
documentation, of course.

Today, my coworker asked me if I'd ever heard of this compiler. He's taking
a graduate-level course with the University of Phoenix, and the professor
requires or recommends (don't know which) the use of this compiler. Weird.

I think I would wonder if the Professor was getting a cut of the $20
because I cannot imagine why anyone would otherwise recommend it in
light of the documentation deficiencies.

Richard Bos

Francis Glassborow said:
I think I would wonder if the Professor was getting a cut of the $20
because I cannot imagine why anyone would otherwise recommend it in
light of the documentation deficiencies.

I cannot help wondering if the two "Tadeusz Szocik"s are in any way
related, but that's probably my cynicism speaking.

Richard