Sharing a web-project

Mantorok

Hi all

We have an ASP.Net project (and the Solution) under source-control.

Here is the example - I create the Solution, I create an ASP.Net project and
then check it all in to source control, now, when another user pulls down
the solution/project from source and then tries to open it the Solution says
it can't find the project.

The temporary solution we have so far which is far from convenient is to
create a NEW solution on the other person's machine and the add the project
again, this works ok.

Is the Solution storing somehting about the initial web project that is
throwing it when loaded on another machine? BTW we've tried EVERYTHING to
sort this but the only way to get it to work is create a new solution on
each machine - not ideal.

Suggestions welcome - this is beocming a real pain.

Thanks
Kev

Guest

Mantorok,

Dont want to sound like i am giving you a primer on source safe :)
Create a project. say at
http://devmachine/project1
Save it to source control

(will tell you that it will remove frontpage extension for managing project)
now go to your co-workers machine
open VS.net
click open project from web
type in http://devmachine/
and click enter.
you will see project 1 in the window.
double click and select project file
click open and it will open the project.
and it will maitain the sourcesafe linking.

when you double click a file and modify it will tell you that you need to
check out etc.

good luck

HTH

Regards,

Hermit Dave
http://hdave.blogspot.com

Mantorok

Well, we are using QVCS rather the source safe.

Opening project from web has never actually worked either, if I say, open up
localhost/projectname the directory listing is totally blank - maybe that's
permisisons??

Kev

Guest

Mantorok,

using QVCS should still change the way you code in vs.net.
VS.net in essence maintains the versioning and interfaces with source
control software. Though i tried perforce in past and i have to admit, it did
leave me wondering on how it all will hang together.

when you created the project did you create it using http://machinename
you should have centralisation of code ie only on webserver holding the code.

the setup i have used in past is like this
the dev IIS box is normally win2k3 (also has source control on seperate
partition)
the dev boxes with vs.net are xp and vs.net
create the prject from dev box onto the iis box. and add it to source
control on the server.
now to go the other box and open the project from dev server.

HTH

Regards,

Hermit Dave

Mantorok

Hermit Dave said:
Mantorok,

using QVCS should still change the way you code in vs.net.
VS.net in essence maintains the versioning and interfaces with source
control software. Though i tried perforce in past and i have to admit, it
did
leave me wondering on how it all will hang together.

when you created the project did you create it using http://machinename
you should have centralisation of code ie only on webserver holding the
code.

The project is initially created locally and then added to SC...then the
other developer pulls down the project files and attempts to open it.

Is this wrong?

Guest

Okay this is personal experience but since i started working with InterDev
and asp (1998), the way i have used web projects and sourcesafe is for
developers to open the web project and not pull the source files and then
open it up.

so you have developers connecting to project on a webbox that is linked to
sourcesafe. Everytime a user modifies a file vs.net will prompt the user to
check the file out.

Again. Dont do a get on files and open the files. Open the web project.

What you are trying to do works and is used for non web projects.

Regards,

Hermit Dave

Mantorok

Hermit Dave said:
Okay this is personal experience but since i started working with InterDev
and asp (1998), the way i have used web projects and sourcesafe is for
developers to open the web project and not pull the source files and then
open it up.

so you have developers connecting to project on a webbox that is linked to
sourcesafe. Everytime a user modifies a file vs.net will prompt the user
check the file out.

Again. Dont do a get on files and open the files. Open the web project.

What you are trying to do works and is used for non web projects.

Regards,

Hermit Dave

Ok, thanks - I'll give that method a try, sounds like it has a much better
chance of working.