Sharing an access database

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by et, Oct 16, 2004.

  1. et

    et Guest

    I have an aspnet program that uses an Access database -- I won't go into why
    I'm using Access -- and can't get it to run in share mode.

    If I have opened the website, and I try to edit the database, I get a
    message saying the database is in read only because it's being used
    elsewhere. Even if I close the website, close the program, close everything
    I can think of, I still get the error. I always have to reboot.

    If I add Mode=Share Deny None to the connection string, I get an aspnet
    error that says "System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: The Microsoft Jet
    database engine cannot open the file
    'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\charliesgourmetbaking\cgb.mdb'. It is already opened
    exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

    I have permission, I'm using the Admin logon in the connection string and
    there is no password, I have never set a logon or passwords to this Access
    database.

    Any ideas what I can do to keep the database from being locked? It's a real
    pain to make a change, run the site then I have to boot again if I want to
    make another change.

    Thanks & let me know if this is better in an Access newsgroup, but I think
    it's an asp method to unlock Access, no?

    et, Oct 16, 2004

  2. For Access databases, the Windows account(perhaps the anonymous acct,
    depending on your security settings) will need almost complete access to the
    directory where the datbase is. This is because Access uses a data file(s) to
    keep track of multi-user access to the database. The account under which the
    application is running will need to be able to perform the modifications,
    etc., to the temporary files used by Access.

    =?Utf-8?B?QnJhZCBSb2JlcnRz?=, Oct 16, 2004

  3. One thing you did not close was the aspnet process that was using the
    database. The next time you want this happens, do a ctrl-alt-delete and
    bring up the running processes tab. Click on the Image Name column to order
    the processes by name. You should see something like aspnet_wp.exe. Stop
    this process.

    William LaMartin, Oct 18, 2004
  4. et

    et Guest

    Okay, but how do I control that when I'm using a host ISP, I don't have
    access to modify their user accounts.

    et, Oct 21, 2004
  5. et

    et Guest

    And I never had this problem before going to .net, so I'm thinking that the
    program is not closing it like it should, although I use a dispose.

    et, Oct 21, 2004