sharing asp.net membership database

Guest

Is it possible to share the ASP.Net database that maintains membership
information? I want to use a single database install with several
independent sites. I've seen where there is information about "applications"
being stored, but haven't found a way to specify between applications/sites.

Thanks,
Phil

Mr Newbie

I think you can do this using the Application_AuthenticateRequest event in
the global ASAX to get to your security provider. I have not done this
myself, but I think this could be the way to do it.

Juan T. Llibre

Not if you use Access for your database.
Using Access would require different databases.

If you use SQL Server or SSE you shouldn't have a problem.
Just pointing to the database you want to use should be enough.

Guest

Thanks for the replies.

I'm using SQL Server 2000 currently, and will likely move to 2005 when I
have time. To my understanding, simply pointing to mutiple sites to the same
database will mean they share both the database and the date. For instance
users from Site A will be able to long into Site B. I'm wanting to share the
database install among sites, but not the data. I want users from Site A to
be able to only access Site A, and Site B to only access Site B.

Thanks,
Phil

Scott Allen

I'm wanting to share the
database install among sites, but not the data. I want users from Site A to
be able to only access Site A, and Site B to only access Site B.

When you configure the <membership> section in web.config (which
you'll have to do to point to anything other than a SQL express
database in App_Data), then set ApplicationName for each of your
application's to a unique string.

ApplicationName is used to scope membership data so it will not be
shared.

Guest

Thanks, I'll give that a try.